Needing answers

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 18. Aug 2015, 18:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well hello all tis me Bertyboy , as some might be aware if your memories are good , i had a TKR in 2010 , had it realigned in 2011/12 cantremember my self now , still was not right and after many xrays and MRI &| Cat scan it was showing 14deg out of line , so it was decided it was to come out last year and be replaced with a new one , that didn't happen my blood was not showing good on the pre op , had ABs a couple of weeks before messed with liver , then we sold the house but took and age to finally move this April , have now been to see a new consultant at a new hospital , more xrays and as far as he says its not out of line , i am having a guided injection tomorrow in my hip my hip does not hurt much might ache now and again , but my knee is just the same why oh why will people not listen to me , and stop saying you cant have pain in a joint thats not there , i understand that to but its coming from the surrounding area for sure . Sorry if i have rambled on a bit just very frustrated with it all .
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, bertyboy. Lovely to see you, albeit for the wrong reasons. You seem to have had several trials and tribulations recently.

It seems you have two conflicting opinions from two different consultants but I think the guided injection is a good plan if your current one feels that all is stemming from your hip. It could be. When my left TKR finally failed after many years of dedicated service I had no pain there but was booked in to see the ankle orthopaedic guy as my ankle pain was dreadful. He x-rayed both ankle and knee then called me back in. First of all he showed me my ankle x-ray. It looked lovely. All the bones had fused themselves perfectly. Then he put up the knee x-ray. A total mess. The TKR had slid right off course. So I saw my knee man, got another new one and haven't looked back since.

I'd suggest you just see how it goes. I hope it goes well and, if it does, at least you won't require another op just yet.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bertyboy
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Stickywicket
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Berty this is what many do, they recon we don't know our own bodies...there is nothing worse than when they say it cant hurt...Im not sure where you live, but I know of a brilliant knee man, when I had my THR he had done a ladies knee that no one would touch,because of two ops on it.. I will PM you his name and if you google him he is one of the best in the country..
    Love
    Barbara
  • bertyboy
    Options
    Thank you Barbara x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi my lovely friend

I a sorry its still not right for you...

The new joint might not hurt but what about all the original surrounding tissues!! They do this Berty ...I still think they got it wrong and that physio probably didn't help when your knee was made to bend in a way it can't....

You hang in there and keep fighting your corner. Hugs and a cuppa and back to the found sites ;-) xxxx

Barbara a huge hug my friend and you too stick xxxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy, of course I remember you and all you went through with your knee post op.

I am now in a similar boat to you..... I had my second knee op in 2010,the first was in 2008 and that has been a gem, no problem. The second knee op was fine for three years. Never as good as the other knee but still great. I have been in pain last 18 months. Surgeon said the replacement is good and all is in place from looking at the xrays.

Pain continued, especially with stairs. We both reluctantly decided I had an arthroscopy to investigate what may be wrong. There was inflammation and swelling for sure. Reluctant because infection is much more common after a knee op. Anyway went ahead and all perfect with the joint as he had said before but lots of scar tissue which had tilted my patella. He rectified this but had to put a drain in, so instead of a day case I was in three nights, and was left with a huge haemotoma. Operation was 23 June. He has been great and really looked after me. I see him again 3 September. I have seen him twice since the op. He said he thinks it could be the tissue surrounding it, like skezier says. He said he may well refer me to a rheumatologist as he has always been bemused by this knee, which I know he has. He says I am a challenge. I have been seeing him off and on for 10 years now. The correspondence he has on me in huge.

So that is me up to date with my knee along with the haematoma which is not quite as huge but still large, until I see him on 3 September. Prior to that op I had a total shoulder replacement in April so that is ongoing too. Not my year really either!

Elna (still smiling a lot of the time)
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.