Chronic Knee Pain. confused over op choices

Options
santa002
santa002 Member Posts: 16
edited 16. Aug 2015, 04:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi, I'm not very used to forums but in the hope that I may get some honest advice so I have decided to write. I am male, 57, work in a manual job that requires a lot of movement, I also spend very little time in the UK. 3 years ago I had an arthroscopic op on my right knee due to 6 months of pain, after I was left in great pain, many injections later it eased off. 6 months ago my left knee started and has deteriorated rapidly, X-rays showed that the inside portion has almost no space, I can even feel bone on bone. And I am now travelling, my knee is huge and nothing I take seems to work.
I have been offered to have an op in Dubai, but here is the crunch, it's my choice of what, do I have both done although the right is now less painful ? The surgeon is keen to do only a partial replacement as the outside potion of my knee looks fine, however another surgeon has told me there is no such thing as a half worn joint and I should have a full.
I am frightened and confused, my living depends on my job, I would welcome anyone else's story. Santa002

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Santa from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Modonfriday
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I empathise but cannot help because I am still waiting for new knees. My gut reaction would be not to mess around with temporary measures but to go ahead with the full replacement so you can get the most that life has to offer. There will, of course, be some time off for recovery (the surface healing is straightforward, the deeper healing takes longer) and the outcome will depend on both general fitness and thoroughness in doing the required post-op exercise but new knees can lead to a whole new lease of life: what's not to like? Whatever you decide I wish you well and hope all goes smoothly. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • santa002
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I am rely grateful, you see this is part of the predicament I am in. Having a part knee replacement is obviously seen as a partial fix ? . From my docs point of view it's not, he argues a part knee last just as long as a full one, plus it's a fraction of the surgery, counter argument is, there is no such thing as a half worn knee!!!!!!!
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Santa

I have had two total knee replacements but two years apart. You have a problem because if you really need to work then it will be difficult because you do have to take time off to recuperate and and depending on what kind of manual job you do it may take longer before you should return to work. It takes quite a time, well it did for me, to really become friends with my new knee (both times) and I had a lot of pain post op but everyone is different with that. I obviously was pleased in the end with the first replacement because I went on to have another. :-DThere is also the post op physio to attend and to do every day.

I really do not know what to suggest. I was offered a partial initially by one surgeon but after leaving it a goodly time and seeing another surgeon he said it was too far gone for a partial.

I wish I could offer you an easy solution.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • santa002
    Options
    Yes that makes sense, to be honest I suspect my left knee is to damaged, can I ask, on a total knee, do you loose the knee cap and and the muscles around it ?

My friend last week has had both knees done together, I will watch with interest.

Thx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Santa

I kept my knee caps and I would presume you keep the muscle around it too.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi again :)

With a TKR the kneecap is normally untouched.

People do sometimes get confused and use the terms 'knee' and 'kneecap' interchangeably. I think kneecaps can be removed but not usually.

I've not heard of muscles being removed though, in my last op, the surgeon did tighten the tendons which had got very slack.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • santa002
    Options
    Ok, thanks for that, steep learning curve .
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    There's a lot to think about. This, from Arthritis Research UK gives a very comprehensive overview and might answer some of your questions. http://tinyurl.com/pcauw4w
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright