After 8 months...

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 19. Aug 2015, 06:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
After being referred at the start of the year I had a phone call today from Occupational therapy to arrange an appointment.
All booked for Monday morning, not quite sure what to expect.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not what you'd all speedy then........... hope it's a useful appointment.

We have a specific rheumy OT in Wolverhampton and appointment times aren't too bad, and after the initial referral it's possible to self refer which is useful. In my experience it was a useful appointment, she listened to what I find challenging when hands etc are sore, and was able to suggest aids that are available and web sites to use. She also supplied (free of charge) compression gloves for when the swelling is bad to protect my joints, a variety of splints for wrists and a troublesome thumb joint, and a blanket guard to lift the bedding when my ankles/feet are particularly troublesome and the bedding hurts. She talked me through ways of taking pressure off joints in everyday activities, and ways of easing things in the classroom .........some suggestions were useful , others less so, but all worth considering.

Maybe you could go with questions about specific tasks that are most difficult for you personally?

Hope the summer break is being kind to you and you're feeling relaxed.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've never had an OT appointment so I don't know what to expect either! I think it may be time to make another list (I know, I know) of what is particularly troublesome physically and they may be able to suggest some solutions. I really hope so, please let us know how it goes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Those are both really helpful. I was originally told I would be waiting a year! I have seen a private OT and thanks to her and advice here I have got quite a few things in place.

The idea of making a list is really good, again I presume it's based on me at my worst.

Any information on what they can provide /advise on would be really helpful.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think all local authorities have their own rules. With Leeds, they will provide small things eg a grabber stick, rails, chair leg raisers etc but larger items are means tested which seems fair enough to me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright