Enbrel Failing?

Options
jabster
jabster Member Posts: 39
edited 20. Aug 2015, 02:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I not sure if Enbrel is starting to fail or I'm having a bad flare.
I've been on Enbrel for just over 2years, previously Humira for 2 months

My hands are near enough back to the way they were before anti tnf :( can feel feet & hips starting go get bad too :(

I'm not due another review for 6 months as had one last month (I was fine then)

I have been under a lot of stress with work so not sure if it's a flare or not due to that. I'd love to go PT and was planning to look for a new PT job next year

I'm scared to contact Rheumy nurse incase I won't get more anti tnf (it's changed my life) I'm also scared of what's happening to my joints again

Any advice? Thank you x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It can be hard to tell what's what with an auto-immune, sly devils that they are. Flares can happen despite the meds, the med don't last in their effects (one may have a few years of benefit then that's it) stress can increase our symptoms, you could be sickening for something, it's a chicken-egg thing.

Does PT mean part-time? Does your current work involve a commute, or long days, or lots of standing i.e. anything that can aggravate matters? If so is there any way of reducing these stresses? What are your bloods showing? They are usually the first indication that a med is failing or harming us so if you don't have a recent set of results I think it a good move to have some done in the near future. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've never taken enbrel but DD has just suggested exactly what I'd do. Does your GP do your bloods or do you have to go to the hospital? My GP does mine so I can get the results quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • NicNac11
    NicNac11 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I know it's scary but get onto your rheumy team as flares are so exhausting and not good at all.
    I'm currently going through a bad flare (CRP 196 instead of 14) and I have been told to stop Enbrel and try Toczililumab/RoActemra, which I am starting next week. Enbrel worked really well with me until about a year ago where I started to flare a bit and also have mild fevers at the end of a work day. I have JIA and been on Enbrel since 2006.
    It's best to discuss with Rheumy team. Have you had a depo injection to try and calm flare down? These can really help particularly during stressful work times.
    Hope you feel better soon. xx
  • Sarahd1609
    Sarahd1609 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I've been on Enbrel 3 months now and had a massive flare up which resulted in my sick leave being extended a further 2 months. I found my rheumy team and gp really good as they tried to balance pain meds and dmards without touching Enbrel. It may be they need to see you to adjust something. The worst thing you can do is not tell them, as without knowing a problem occurs, they can't help Hun. They may be able to notice a trigger or even adjust other meds to help. Hope they can help you and this flare up and work calm down for you xxxx
  • jabster
    jabster Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you everyone x

I only get my bloods done every 6 months at hospital now (not on mtx). Can't take NSAIDs due to high BP as well. Literally falling apart lol

I'll give the Rheumy helpline a ring and see what they say.

Thanks again :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ringing them sounds sensible and maybe they will suggest some bloods first for information. It surprises me how varied hospitals can be in their approach to these meds. My previous anti-TNFs which were meth-free involved monthly tests, now with the injected meth and humira it's every two. Which reminds me . . . . . DD wanders off to find some forms. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben