supplements to help osteoarthritis ?

Options
Diamond2
Diamond2 Member Posts: 9
edited 29. Aug 2015, 05:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone advise me on what's best to take for osteoarthritis in knees . Cod liver oil , omega 3 fish oil or glucosamine which one have you found has helped ease the symptoms . Thanks

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Diamond2,

My friend's husband was adamant that glucosamine helped him with his knee pain. I do take cod liver oil capsules daily and have done so for a long time but it is mainly habit. ;) I have not noticed it helps my OA. Everyone is different. What may work for one, does not for another.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi again Diamond2

I tried glucosamine and fish oils when I first started with what turned out to be inflammatory arthritis, but I didn't notice much difference.

Like Elna I know some people who take them regularly and swear by them.

If you want to give them a go and can afford to buy them there's no harm trying is there. Fingers crossed they help you :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In my early days when I didn't know what was going on I tried cod liver, glucosamine and something else I can't remember, all for between three to six months at a time. Nothing happened apart from things worsening. I've met a few people in the orthopaedics waiting room who swear by their copper insoles, bracelets and supplements but their versions of arthritis are very different to mine in that they don't walk with aids, still play sport or hike for miles, lucky things.

There's no harm in trying but make sure you do so for months rather than a couple of weeks, you never know it may help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Cod liver oil is recognised as being beneficial to OA. Glucosamine used to be available in prescription until it was decided that the benefits were dubious. Mr SW takes it daily for very mild OA in a knee (hip?) but, when I say 'mild' I mean the sort of OA that allows him to play golf twice a week and dig the garden / go to the gym on others.

If you intend to take any supplements do check first with your GP or pharmacist that they won't interact with prescribed medication.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright