Methotrexate update.

Options
LemonMerigue
LemonMerigue Member Posts: 62
edited 31. Aug 2015, 04:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
As I posted back a few weeks ago my liver function on MTX was high and had to go back to having a million blood tests every week. My rheumy nurse has lowered my dose to 7x2.5mg per week rather than 8. It's well and truly doing nothing. I'm still to hear from her regarding my most recent blood tests. I have no idea what is going on. Since my dose has been lowered my hand has been constantly sore and swollen and my ankle and heel have been very painful to the point I've been taking my Codeine during the day, which I like to avoid as it does space me out somewhat.

Sigh....I feel so betrayed by my body. I feel fine. But my liver has other ideas.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    And here we have the not-so-wonderful world of arthritis in a nutshell.

When you say the lower dose is 'doing nothing' do you mean for the liver function test or the arthritis? I guess the immediate priority is to get your liver settled. We need good livers on these DMARDS.

So much of what we do is just waiting - to give meds chance to work, to give meds chance to get out our systems before more can be added, for appointments, blood tests, procedures, x-rays etc etc.

It's a long, boring, painful waiting game.

I'm sorry about the codeine. Hopefully just a temporary 'bridge'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am sorry you are suffering like this, like SW says the liver is priority at the moment, I do hope things settle very soon than they can hopefully up the does for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • LemonMerigue
    LemonMerigue Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm confident it's not doing much for the arthritis. The higher dose was definitely helping somewhat but even slightly less has made life quite uncomfortable again.

As I say, I've yet to hear from my nurse if the lower dose is making a difference. I hate the waiting. It makes me incredibly anxious. I can't even wait for a bus I get that anxious. This is a whole new level of anxiety.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It is, indeed, a pain in itself playing the waiting game but an unfortunate necessity of arthritic life.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright