update

Options
bangorlass
bangorlass Member Posts: 21
edited 1. Sep 2015, 05:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all just thought I'd give a little update... I saw rheumy a few weeks ago diagnosed Arthritis (he didn't say what type) in both hands and wrists as well as my knees he thinks I've also got hypermobility joints, and wants to see me again in march.

But since seeing him my shoulders and ankles are playing up severe pain and so tired all the time, and a rash on my scalp and losing my hair really not sure what to do... I'm so fed up isn't the warm weather supposed to ease arthritis pain not worse? I'm really not coping too well

xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you for the update and I empathise with the confusion as to what is what. My psoriatic arthritis is generally well-controlled but currently I have an outbreak of the P on my scalp, which isn't pleasant. The heat and humidity aggravates the PsA so the past few weeks haven't been that comfortable.

I am familiar with being tired despite my unholy trinity of immune- suppressing meds. What are you taking? I know I should remember but I don't. :oops: I suspect methotrexate for one as you mention hair loss. Are you also taking folic acid? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;

I have PsA too. Heat used to be my friend. Initially, with PsA hot weather helped but now a few years later and worse PsA, OA & now fibroM., the heat is very aggravating to my joints and makes fatigue worse (of course).

A lot of people lose hair because of MTX. I lost a lot of hair due to psoriasis and this has improved with MTX. I know I'm weird, an oddity even :roll: I kept a symptom diary from early on, so I know this is the case.

Take care of yourself, the constant pain can be very rough to deal with. Do you have good meds to help with it? If not, you need to discuss this with your doc. Toughing your way through it is going to wear your out.

Anna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Oh dear! I think, sometimes, we invest a lot of hope in such appointments and then, when nothing apparently improves, the disappointment is great.

I assume the rheumatologist has put you on some medication but it's early days yet and it's probably not kicked in yet. We normally have to allow up to 12 weeks for it to make a difference (What have you been given?) and things might well get worse before they get better. Try to hang on in there but, if they get unbearable, ring your rheumatology helpline for advice.

I think only those without an auto-immune arthritis think that heat improves it. I've always hated the humidity of the British summer. I just wilt.It drains me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bangorlass
    Options
    thank you all for the encouragement only meds are what gp prescribed Diclofenac 50mg its doing nothing... sorry for being such a grumpy so and so
  • stickywicket
    Options
    So the rheumatologist didn't prescribe any meds? Did he / she say if it was an inflammatory / auto-immune type of arthritis?

The rash might help with a more precise diagnosis so I think you should see your GP asap as it might be an indication of Psoriatic Arthritis and, if so, it would be better for you to be on the right medication sooner rather than later. March is too long to wait if you have PsA and are not on any DMARDS.
    Steven Wright
  • bangorlass
    Options
    no rheumatologist didn't prescribe anything and didn't indicate what type of arthritis I have I did tell him that it seemed to affect different joints in a short space of time and I told him I'm losing my hair ( I now have a bald spot at the front) its just lucky that I have a lot of hair and its thick (for the time been) that its not noticeable but yet he wasn't interested my Ana was 1:640 Positive but all other factors negative
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've never understoood the numbers and letters. As you weren't given any DMARDS, and given the mention of hypermobility, it might be that the rheumatologist couldn't be sure at this stage whether your arthritis was OA or an auto-immune type. I'm pretty sure he ignored the hair loss because it's irrelevant. One of the DMARDS – methotrexate – can cause a small amount of hair loss but arthritis doesn't. I still think the scalp rash might be an aid to diagnosis so I'd take it to the GP for him to check whether or not it's psoriasis.
    Steven Wright
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi, I agree that you should make an appointment with your GP. Maybe ask for the report the Rheumatologist would have sent to your GP. This will say what type of arthritis he has diagnosed or thinks it may be.

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and part of that I have hypermobile joints. This means your joints move around too much or your very flexible. This can have no medical consequence at all and can actually be an advantage to ballerinas and gymnasts. However it could also cause the early on set of osteoarthritis wear and tear on the joints.

When I had further questions my GP wrote to my Rheumatologist or rang him, you could ask your GP to do this may be? I hope you find some answers. Let us all know how you get on :) becks