Midfoot fusion surgery?

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 7. Sep 2015, 04:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a guided steroid injection into my midfoot last Friday. The scan showed that, in the consultant's words 'that is not a good joint'. Things seemed to ease over the weekend and I was hopeful that the injection was going to be beneficial. Unfortunately, the pain has gradually crept back and, particularly when I get up from sitting, there are times when I can't put my foot to the floor as it's so painful. This is exactly the same as before I had the injection.

Although this is the first injection I've had into my foot, the consultant did say that the next option may well be surgery, so, now I'm wondering if this might be the case. I go back to see him in ix weeks.

Has anybody else had midfoot fusion? The thought of a procedure with such a long recovery time worries me a bit.

Meg

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry it's all back to unwelcome normal. I know nothing of fusions anywhere. Several of my own foot joints have fused themselves but the process of getting there isn't pleasant. I hope someone can help with advice.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello Megrose
    I've had a mid foot fusion it was called a triple fusion I had it in 2011
    I only started having a problem this year in my ankle I was told when I had the fusion most people have to have a ankle replacement.
    my leg was in plaster for 13 weeks 6 weeks no weight and then a little weight bearing I left hospital after a week just being able to hop with a frame I have a wheelchair and a mobility scoota (I have c palsy).
    if you want to know anything ask me.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, Megrose, it never rains but it pours, yes? I know that steroid injections can be temperamental in that sometimes they work and other times they don't, and it must be very disappointing that although it boded well the old trouble has resurfaced. Bother. How very peeving.

I have no experience of either a natural or un-natural fusion but I would be guided by the experts. I know the thought of such a long recovery period is far from appealing but if it does the trick . . . . my only advice would be that if you choose to go down this route then, if at all possible, try to make the operation date early in the year such as February or March, because that is when the longer days begin and recovery is no shorter but more pleasant. I found my spring and summer operations far easier to get over than the ones done in October, November and December. Please let us know how things develop. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you very much, Sticky, Joan and DD.

Thank you for your kind offer of help, Joan. If surgery seems to be the way forward, I will definitely get back in touch with questions, if that's OK.

That's a really good tip, DD. I wouldn't have thought that having an operation in the early part of the year is better, but, now you've mentioned it, I can see the sense of it.

I won't really know what is going to happen until I see the consultant again in October for a review. So, I'm just worrying in advance! Maybe the injection will just take a while to work? We'll see. I'll let you know what happens. Many thanks.

Meg
  • jamart
    jamart Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi I had a subtalor fusion at the beginning of January this year, that's the joint beneath the ankle joint. I to had a injection into the joint which only lasted for 5 days and I found it very painful, so opted for the fusion, and I am so pleased I did. I spent 13 weeks non weight bearing, 7 in a plaster cast then 6 in a air cast boot, followed by 2 weeks part weight bearing before slowly going to full weight bearing. I had no pain after the op and have had no pain since, for me the op was a great success. Yes it's a long recovery, I had 23 weeks off work but for me well worth it.

I hope things work out for you what ever road you go down. If there's anything else you would like to know just ask.
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you Jamart. Pleased to hear that the surgery worked so well for you. I'm retired, so time off work isn't a problem. But I'm only 69 and don't want things to get worse in the future - I know it's not going to get better! I may well get back to you with questions if surgery is the next option.

Meg
  • Susancampbell
    Susancampbell Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Meg I am new on here and I came on to learn if anyone had any information about an operation for fusion mid foot the same as you. I have had three lots of steroid injections On the right foot they work but on the left foot they do not so much so walking is very painful and nearly impossible to go out very far now. I hear people say do not have an operation. The Doctor says it stops pain but does not improve ability to walk. Then there is the the recovery period. I have to decide by Wednesday if I want to see surgeon and I am very undecided still. Susan
  • Susancampbell
    Options
    Jamart. Can you tell me if the operation stopped the pain? Susan
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Susan,

Welcome to the site, I hope you find the answers you are seeking. There are a number of members who have had a fusion, the weekend tends to have fewer members online.

The Mod Team are here to help you with any issues using the forum, if you need us, send a message :D

Take care
    Mod Yx
  • jamart
    jamart Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi Susan I'm sorry that you are in a lot of pain, you have come to the right place for advise and tips. I was in a lot of pain with every step and had a very bad limp. Since having the op I haven't had any pain at all, it is a long recovery I had 23 weeks off work, it did take me a while to get used to walking without a limp but physio helps with that, and now my husband Carn't keep up with me when we are out walking! I wouldn't hesitate to have the same op if the other foot goes the same way, (touch wood it doesn't)

Everybody's recovery from a op is different, for me it was well worth it.
  • Susancampbell
    Options
    Hi Jamart,
    Thank you for that It is very useful to know. It seems the only option ins not to go out walking and at 72 with a dog we like to take out for country walks is not an appealing option. Just contemplating how I will manage the recovery time as our smaller house now we do not have a downstairs toilet. Silly we did not think of getting old and needing these things but when you are well and fit they seem like a luxury.
    I will have to go ahead and be referred to a surgeon when I see the Podiatrist on Wednesday I think
    Thanks again for your information. Best Wishes Susan