Nine sleeps

Options
newhipandy
newhipandy Member Posts: 60
edited 3. Sep 2015, 05:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
So, I am really on the countdown now - we are in the month that I will have my THR ... on 10 September. I am sure i am quite normal in looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measures.

I was advised at my pre-op assessment to 'eat plenty and carb-load' the day before (great invitation!) as it can help with post op nausea ..anyone else familiar with that? Also ... I was hoping to have good pain relief afterwards but have read that morphine makes most people sick. I am phobic about being sick and wonder if anyone can advise on this - do anti emetics do the trick? :oops:

Sorry for the questions that have probably been asked before, but thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are indeed on the great countdown to the Big Day and I am not surprised about the mixed feelings. I've always looked forward to surgery, my reasoning being that it's done to make things better and it usually has. I've had post-op morphine on a demand pump and have never been sick, possibly because I had a very empty tummy or may just have a good tolerance to these things. . . . just because it has that effect on some is no guarantee is that it will be the same for you but it may be worth asking for an anti-emetic because I reckon you will require the morphine at first.

Good luck with it, I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope all goes well. I had severe sickness after my neck op last year, I couldn't even keep,down the anti-emetic I was given, however I did ask for, was given and kept down Oramorph. I did have to ask though as all I was offerec post surgery was paracetamol!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Yup, absolutely normal. As a veteran of several ops that makes absolute sense.

I've never heard of the dietary advice but I might try it out next time. What's to lose?

I do tend to get nauseous post-op but I've always attributed that to the anaesthetic and an emty stomach. My stomach dislikes totally empty..

I've only ever had morphine in the week I spent in hospital with a broken hip and immediately post-op. I did get sick with the former but, post-op, once I started eating I was fine. I never stayed on morphine for more than 24 hrs or so but I was subsequently offered tramadol or codeine and never needed anti-emetics. Think of them as being an option if needed but probably not needed.

Good luck. I hope your THR is as good as mine are.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Good luck with the op, I hope it goes really well.

I had morphine via a PCA pump after my knee replacement. It made me feel slightly queasy but straight away I was given an injection to deal with that and I was absolutely fine afterwards. I only needed the one anti emetic and I was on the PCA for 48 hours. Mind you, over the 48 hours I only used a small amount of the morphine as I'd had a long acting local anaesthetic jab into my knee which also helped.

If I were you, I'd mention this when you see the anaesthetist before the operation as that's the person who usually sorts out the pain relief initially. It's his or her job to make sure you are pain free.

In the meantime, try not to get absolutely everything done, sometimes you just have to accept that it's not possible. I also recommend a very long shower or bath (if you can get in a bath that is!) as post-op you won't be showering for a good couple of weeks.

Good luck and take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • newhipandy
    Options
    Thank you very much for all the helpful info and tips. I will definitely have a word with the anaesthetist beforehand. And i do take on board about not being able to get everything done .... I have to accept that certain things will just have to wait. It is good to be able to vent a bit here to people who understand! Thanks all. :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sorry I'm a bit late in answering this but if they know about yur sickness phobia they will give you something else.
    I had tramadol during the 6 weeks post op. I've got to admit it made me a bit "loopy" but after the first THR I thought that was just the effects of the op LOL Most people can tolerate it well.
    I asked for something different the 2nd THR and they obliged.
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    When I had my THR I was advised by a friend on here to take Arnica they use it a lot in American hospitals and say to take a couple of weeks before your op and carry on for a few weeks after...I had very little bruising..and even the nurse were ,,I had an epidural and felt fine waking up them when that worse off they gave me codiene and if i need morphine could ask for it..but didn't need it..I do wish you well with you op and please let us know how you get on..something I couldn't do without were the feminine wipes ..if you are a lady.. :lol: and face ones...bliss..mind you it was in the 80s when I went in 2 years ago..
    Love
    Barbara
  • newhipandy
    Options
    Thankyou again. I have arnica on my shopping list ... and will let everyone know how it goes. This time next week the day will be here and in many respects, I can't wait! best to all. Andrea