Amitripyline

Options
tedthered64
tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
edited 14. Sep 2015, 08:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Been prescribed this by my GP today, (10mg) 1 to be taken nightly to help sleep.
Just read the leaflet and a bit disturbed to read it is also an anti depressant.

Wondered if anyone as any experience of this tablet.
Cheers
Ted

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I have amitriptyline at night to help with nerve pain. I believe there are others on here who also take it. I find it suits me to take it a couple of hours before I want to go to sleep. It's not solely for depression, and yours is a very small dose.
  • tedthered64
    Options
    theresak wrote:
    Hi,

I have amitriptyline at night to help with nerve pain. I believe there are others on here who also take it. I find it suits me to take it a couple of hours before I want to go to sleep. It's not solely for depression, and yours is a very small dose.
    Thank you, was worried as I already use tramadol
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I cant take it because it clashes with another tablet I take but don't worry about the depression bit.
    High dose is for depression but the low dose is a muscle relaxant
    Its surprising how many tablets have multiple uses

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Like many meds it overlaps in what it treats and the doses vary accordingly. From what I know yours is a small dose but regardless it's best taken at least a couple of hours before bedtime otherwise you may feel foggy and groggy the next morning.

I hope it helps - let us know how you get on. DD

PS Are you still taking the pred? If so I hope you do that first thing rather than in the evening.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Ted..I started on 10mg am now on 25mg..I always vowed I wouldn't take any meds..but boy was I glad of this..it really does help at night, I take it around 7 to go to bed around 10 10.30...at the beginning you can feel the effects in the morning when you get up, but they soon wear off and disappear all together, it can leave your mouth dry..but that is all really..hope it helps..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Hi Ted. I take Nortriptyline (a sister drug to Amitriptyline), 25mg a night, mainly for fibromyalgia pain, but also for sleeping problems. It really works well for me.

I would agree with Barbara about when to take it. My rheumatologist advised me to take it about 12 hours before you want to get up. This helps to avoid any drowsiness in the morning.

I hope it helps.

Meg
  • tedthered64
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, I am going to try it tonight.
    Here's hoping for a sleep, never mind a good nights sleep.
    I think I have forgotten what sleep is.
    Thanks ladies :)
    Ted
  • tedthered64
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:

PS Are you still taking the pred? If so I hope you do that first thing rather than in the evening.
    Hi DD,
    I have finished the course of pred, think it made me go a bit loopy!
    Although my teenage daughters would probably say how could I tell the difference! :)
    Ted
  • helenl
    helenl Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I'm Helen and I am new on here, thought you might like to know about my experience with amitriptyline I have been on it for at least 7yrs I take 25mg x2 a night to shut down my brain and to allow me to sleep I'm also on morphine, celebrex, zapain as I do suffer with all my joints with oa , I find amitriptyline sometimes will help my sleep but also I do still wake up think it depends on how I have been during the day and how much pain I'm in however I wouldn't be without my mixture of meds allows my body to move hope this helps
    Cheers Helen :island-shark:
  • tedthered64
    Options
    helenl wrote:
    Hi I'm Helen and I am new on here, thought you might like to know about my experience with amitriptyline I have been on it for at least 7yrs I take 25mg x2 a night to shut down my brain and to allow me to sleep I'm also on morphine, celebrex, zapain as I do suffer with all my joints with oa , I find amitriptyline sometimes will help my sleep but also I do still wake up think it depends on how I have been during the day and how much pain I'm in however I wouldn't be without my mixture of meds allows my body to move hope this helps
    Cheers Helen :island-shark:
    Hi Helen,
    Thank you, it really does help knowing how different medications affect others, I do agree with you, the amount if Iain suffered through the day files seem to impact on the efficiency of the me fixation.
    Thanks Ted
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've been taking Amitriptyline for a while now and I'm on the highest dose you can take but it helps me to drop off to sleep and to be honest they are a god send as I know I would never get to sleep without them.
  • tedthered64
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    I've been taking Amitriptyline for a while now and I'm on the highest dose you can take but it helps me to drop off to sleep and to be honest they are a god send as I know I would never get to sleep without them.
    Thank you, I'm finding that they definitely do help me to nod off