Thank you, Social Services

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 6. Sep 2015, 12:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
My bath lift broke.

No – correction - I broke my bath lift. It was entirely my own fault. I knew how to use it but didn't. It had drifted to the far side of the bath. I had been told always to ensure it was at the near side before sitting on the flap that goes over the side of the bath. But it was firmly anchored over there (too firmly for my hands) and I couldn't be bothered enlisting the help of Mr SW. So I winged it. And placed too much pressure on the hinge. And it broke.

Having a son in USA, I'm aware that these things are a privilege not a right so I immediately fessed up. Reproaches came there none. Just a spanking new bath lift which arrived today. I shall treat it with care. And gratitude.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What a great result. Are you cracking open the champagne on it to celebrate.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hear-hear, they should be acknowledged more often for what they get right as opposed to all the brickbats usually hurled in their direction. In my early days I was always dealt with fairly rapidly by our local office, I haven't had recourse to them for some time now but I hope the same would apply.

Enjoy the new bath lift: do you require someone to come round and smash a bottle across your bow? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Great result Sticky let us know when the launching ceremony is :D xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    When hubby had a stroke 12 years ago now I didn't know what to do or which way to turn, without the help of social services i don't know what i would have done,praise where praise is due.
    I will bring a bottle of brown ale (named after a city up north)to smash over its bows .Happy splashing. Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Enjoy the new bath lift: do you require someone to come round and smash a bottle across your bow? :wink: DD

Across my bow? Blimey, Dr Jekyll, you have concealed your Mrs Hyde side very well until now. I think not but you may come round and open a celebratory bottle if you wish, taking care that the contents end up down my gullet not over my bows.

OK everyone. Party in our bathroom. The expanding walls will be fitted today.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Do we all need to bring a bottle, or is DD in charge of smashing across the bows? Seems a waste of alcohol to me. I know, let`s just drink it!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Just what I was thinking Tezz, a waste of a drink, and in any case it would be embarrassing to say the least if impact of said celebratory vessel was to result in damage to the new lift - not to mention sharp bits in tender places.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Speaking as someone who works for Social Services (my team support adults with hearing loss as well as those who have a dual sensory loss - hearing and sight loss), it's always great to have feedback like this.

I work in the office so don't go out to our clients but we get thank you's from the clients and it makes such a difference.

It's great to know that other areas of the UK have great Social Services Departments and that they also get such acknowledgements.

I hope that your new bath lift lives up to expectations and realises that it's predecessor has set extremely high standards for it to maintain, and surpass! :lol:

I'll bring some luxury, pampering toiletries for you if you have room in your already very crowded bathroom for one more.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I like your thinking Tezz and daffy.

Graceb - our social services do a great job under intense pressure. Of course there's room for one more. Just don't sit on a hinge :lol:

I'm a bit worried about DD. It's most uncharacteristic of her to contemplate wasting alcohol.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    That was a good result SW..and so quick..must say I have no qualms with our social services..they even ring up to see if there is anything I need.. :)
    Love
    Barbara