help please

Options
smiley613
smiley613 Member Posts: 9
edited 4. Sep 2015, 17:15 in Young people's community
I'm 23 years old and about 3 months ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my ankle. I am waiting on seeing a rheumatologist to check whether I have an underlying rheumatology problem. I am in a lot of pain and taking strong pain killers I have had to put my university studies on hold for the last 8 months because of pain. I feel scared as I don't know what the future holds and don't want to be on pain meds all my life also no one my age seems to understand does anyone have advice for me

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Smiley from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Modonfriday
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello smiley613. I'm so sorry to hear of your arthritis and that you've had to put your uni studies on hold because of it.

I'm not sure whether or not to say I hope the rheumatologist can help you because, if (s)he can, it means you have some autoimmune form of arthritis. I started with RA when I was 15, first in my hands then my ankles. It was tough but I did have periods of remission and made it through uni albeit with a period in sick bay and someone to write for me in my finals.

None of us knows what the future holds, it's just that healthy people think they know and plan accordingly. I've had RA for over 50 years now and I reckon I've had quite a good life. Try not to get too far ahead of yourself. Deal with the present. If it would help why not give our Helpline people a ring and chat things over with them?

None of us really understands other people's long term illnesses or diseases. Maybe you could try explaining to your friends why you can't do as much as before. I know it's hard to hit the right note ie not giving them so much information that we put them off but not giving them so little that, with the best will in the world, they can't understand.

Have you been given exercises for the ankle? Advised which type of shoes to wear? Tried – for short periods only – an ankle support? All these can help, as can pain relief but it never takes the pain away completely so, for my money, it's best not to try that route.

I think you'll get more replies if you copy this thread to the Living With Arthritis forum. This one is very quiet and many younger people post on LWA.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright