An update and a pocket duties request

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 8. Sep 2015, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I've gone back to work part-time and my body is telling me very clearly that it was the right decision.
I did find the first three days challenging and very painful but have to factor in the fact that it's about 10 weeks since I worked three days together (4 weeks sick leave, a Friday and Monday at work and then school holidays), and also that I had to spend the greater part of two days sitting in chairs designed for 10 year olds, plus the fact that I had moved offices and my Dragon software has decided to stop working so I had to type out a document.

Still it was good on the third morning to know it was the last alarm call for the week and that I just had the one day to get through.

As for the pocket duties I have an appointment with my Orthopaedic Consultant next Tuesday afternoon to get the results of my most recent neck MRI, and what the plan is. Going back to work really made me realise how bad it has got again as even with my oxycodone I was near tears at time with the pain and my neck stiffened up.

I'm also seeing my GP Monday, I saw a locum a couple of weeks ago who after confusing my left wrist and elbow (!) diagnosed me with golfer's elbow in my left arm, like tennis elbow but with the inner part affected rather than the outer. He suggested a support and said if needed I could have a steroid injection. He then looked at my current meds, and said it might be worth trying Gabeptin or Pregablin (not sure of spelling). I decided that I 'd rather wait and discuss these with my usual GP. I'm also going to ask him if there's anything in particular I should raise with the consultant.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think going back to work after a fairly lengthy absence is always hard, even for 'normal' people. I can understand the pain driving you to tears as that was me just a few days ago. I hope with some rest it will improve.

I'll be in your pocket on Tuesday, and wish you good luck.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Will be in your pocket on tuesday,good luck.Mig
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Count me in for Tuesday Slosh I will be more than happy to be in your pocket, good luck, glad your decision to go part time seems to have been a good move, hope you have a good appointment with your GP. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I think you've done brilliantly! It's always a shock to the system when you go back to work after being off for a long time. Hopefully in a week or so, you'll get your "second wind".

I'm happy to help with pocket duties as well.

Hope the appointment goes well and you get some helpful answers.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Well done on completing your first week back, Sloth, apparently under circumstances unnecessarily difficult.

Good luck for both appointments. I hope the neck MRI results in an acceptable plan. It must be so daunting.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    I am starting to feel very anxious about my appointment on Tuesday. I don't know what will be the worse outcome, that I just have to bear with ths pain and level of medication and they will see me again in 3 months or that actually contrary to what my consultant said last time I do need more surgery.

Sometimes I just feel the hospital think I'm making a fuss about nothing. Glad I'm seeing my GP tomorrow, not just about my left elbow/hand but to have a chat and get some pointers about what to ask at the hospital.

Going to be a bit of a week as Tuesday morning social services are installing rails by my front and back doors and I have mixed feelings about this, seems to make things so public.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just this (((((((((((( ))))))))))))). Hope your week goes okay on every level, that you get some really good advice and support, and that work is okay. I understand what you mean about things making your struggles "public"........but it's perhaps less about what they might think, and more about getting our own heads around our needs and limitations......I'm currently trying to get my head around beginning to use the butrans pain relief patches that my GP prescribed 2 weeks ago and are still unopened in the box because it somehow makes me feel less able to cope with the limitations that are invading my life....daft I know, but I think the sleepless nights will push me there soon! :oops:

I'll be in your pocket on Tuesday.

Deb xx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Take care, Slosh and best wishes for Tuesday. Sending much empathy with the elbow and neck pain.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both.
    I have moved offices and have a new "roomie", I think I frightened her last week with my occasional (maybe more than occasional) groans, gasps sighs etc. Poor thing I even had to get her to put one of those stick on heat packs onto my shoulders and neck!

Feels strange not to be going into work today.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I'll pop into your pocket on Tuesday, Slosh. Fingers crossed for you that it goes well.

Look after yourself.

Meg
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    When I reduced my teaching hours to part time Monday and Tuesday used to feel like truanting.....but I soon got to enjoy the feeling! My great delight on a Monday morning became taking a cuppa back to bed with a good book and smiling quietly as the neighbours left one by one to go to work..........and once I took early retirement it was even better.

So grab a coffee, grab a book, sit back and relax......you're worth every moment of the healing time you've now got, choose a treat and enjoy it guilt free. :) . My hubby calls it 'taking time to smell the roses' and it is just a real joy and blessing, maybe a gentle stroll in the autumn sunshine, or pottering in a local green space or listening to good music and reading some poetry.....whatever it is that enriches your life, go for it.

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you Dibdab.
    Just back from seeing my GP, settled down with a cuppa, about to open my kindle. Off to my favourite tea room later for more tea, cake and a black and white film.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good luck for today Slosh.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks. Had a good visit to my GP yesterday and a good talk with him, I'm booked in to see another GP next week for a steroid injection into my left elbow where I have an inflamed tendon, otherwise known as "Golfer's elbow", as he said she was the best in the practice for injections.

He listened to my worries, reassured me about my left hand fingers and said it was quite understandable that I had been worried by what had been said to me by the therapist. He is great in that he explains things clearly.

As for today, after giving me a new prescription for Oxycodone, no chat about reducing dose or coming off it now, he said I needed to stress today the strength of medication I am now on and that I don't want to stay on it long term as otherwise my Orths consultant may be quite happy for me stay on the meds.

Will post later once I'm back but pleased to have you all with me.
    Julian of Norwich