Shoe Insoles

Options
Jim1972
Jim1972 Member Posts: 3
edited 6. Sep 2015, 15:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Fairly new to this as only diagnosed with RA 9 months ago. Started with just a couple of fingers not bending properly but now really struggling with problems in both hands, both shoulders, neck and feet. Things seems to be going downhill quickly and all seems to be a bit worrying for the future.

I take 25mg Methotrexate and 2 weeks ago started on Sulphasalazine along with the usual painkillers and anti inflamatories.

Yesterday I went to see the podiatrist who will be making me some insoles for my shoes but I have to wait 8 weeks for them. My question is does anybody have any experience in using shop bought insoles for someone with very little fat pads left on their feet so that maybe I can get some while I await the custom ones.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be great.
Cheers
Jim

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jim. Welcome but sorry you have developed RA. I had insoles made for me but I found it more painful to walk on them but I'm sure some of the others have mentioned they work for them. I now wear any shoes I can find with lots of cushioning, mainly Sk*tch*rs Sh*pe Ups. Sorry I don't know what's around for men. It's quiet in here at the weekend but I'm sure someone will come along soon to answer your question.
    Christine
  • Patcher
    Patcher Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Jim
    Sorry to hear you are having lots of pain in feet. I too have RA (11 years now) and have used insoles from podiatrist for most of this. I tried shop bought but didn't work for me. Don't recall having to wait 8 weeks for insoles though but that may just be down to area differences.
    I found insoles really uncomfortable to start with but after a while this settled. Cannot now manage without them, even use them in my slippers!!!
    Hope you find they help when you get them. Sorry can't be more helpful regarding shop bought insoles
    Patcher
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about your foot problems, I too have RA and lots of foot trouble. The podiatrists made me orthotics, but it's hard finding shoes that they fit in properly. They take a while to get used to, but seem to give me some help. Like you I had a long wait for them, and am just about to go back for a review 6 months after fitting. The orthotist did explain that one of the problems with RA in the feet is that the ankle joints start to roll inwards causing pain in other joints, which is certainly the case for me. I did try other shop bought insoles which added some gel cushioning, they helped a bit, but not much. Trainers generally seem to offer more cushioning and support for arthritic feet, so it may be worth trying those whilst you wait.

Deb
  • Jim1972
    Jim1972 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi
    Many thanks for everyone's replies. I try to wear trainer type shoes at home and I think I will just try to get some insoles that offer a bit more cushioning for my work shoes.

Again many thanks
    Jim