please help

Options
smiley613
smiley613 Member Posts: 9
edited 8. Sep 2015, 05:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm 23 years old and about 3 months ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my ankle. I am waiting on seeing a rheumatologist to check whether I have an underlying rheumatology problem. I am in a lot of pain and taking strong pain killers I have had to put my university studies on hold for the last 8 months because of pain. I feel scared as I don't know what the future holds and don't want to be on pain meds all my life also no one my age seems to understand does anyone have advice for me

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello there, I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with OA at such a young age. Unfortunately no types of arthritis have any respect for age.

Is your rheumy appointment to check if you also have one of the auto-immune types, such as RA? A number of us on here have both. If that is the case, treatment would be different. Rheumatologists deal with RA etc., while OA is largely left to the GP.

I can understand you needing strong painkillers, but wonder have you been offered any anti-inflammatories, such as Naproxen, Diclofenac etc.? These help to reduce inflammation, but can be hard on the stomach, and are often taken alongside a stomach protector.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your rheumy appointment, so that a treatment plan can be put in place.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there,

Sorry you've had to find us, but I'm sure the folks here will offer you support and advice as best we can.

I echo the advice about stomach protectors with anti inflammatories, it can also help to take them with food so that they are less harsh on your tummy.

Could I suggest you keep a simple diary of your symptoms to take to the rheumatology appointment, it might show patterns of times/sites that you get pain. Sadly arthritis of many kinds is no respector of age, the key is to get the right help and treatment as soon as possible to try and minimise long term joint damage.

I hope you get the help you need really soon.

Deb x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I cant add to what the others have said,but I think the idea of a pain diary is always good..and something to show on your next appointment..and talking to us will hopefully help..I do wish you well..
    Love
    Barbara
  • smiley613
    Options
    Thanks Theresak and Debbie,

The rheumatologist appointment is to make sure I don't have any inflammatory problem as well I don't yet have an appointment still waiting.
    My osteoarthritis is being looked after by an orthopaedic consultant who is WONDERFUL. He has suggested anti inflammatory meds but I can't take them as I am an asthmatic so my only option at moment is pain killers till after I have had another steroid injection in the middle of the month.

Thanks for your advice
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

I had an arthroscopy left ankle 8th July this year due to OA on my subtalar and calcus joints (the two joints under the top one). Sorry, don't know the name for the bit of the ankle that "sticks out" either side!

OA in the ankle seems to be a bit of a challenge for me. My ankle is still swelling and by the end of the day it's huge. I'm still getting pain and it's started locking (getting stuck) again. The idea behind my surgery was that my consultant needed to do the 'scope to see if he could clear out the bad bits of my ankle, check the cartilage (mine is very thin but was intact when the op was done), and see if I needed a fusion now or if it could be put off. Please bear in mind I also have chronic OA both knees (one replaced; the other needs replacing) and my lumbar spine (which will need fusing). I was diagnosed at 39 and am now 50 so am 11 years in and have got used to the restrictions that OA brings. Everyone is different and what doesn't work that well for one person will bring tremendous relief for another.

If I were you I'd ask my GP if I could see a physio to see if I could build up the muscles in the ankle. Take a list of questions to your hospital appointment and, if you can, take someone else with you as that way what you don't remember, the other person will.

Have you considered using a walking stick? At 23 you'll probably shudder at the thought, but you can get some nice ones now or you could get a plain one and personalise it with gems and the like. If you do try a stick, and your bad ankle is your left one, hold the stick in your right hand. Bad ankle moves forward at the same time the stick does. Vice versa for the right ankle.

Keep reading the forum, there are loads of wonderful people on here who are extremely helpful and supportive. Please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • smiley613
    Options
    Thanks GraceB

My ankle is currently in a aircast boot as that's the only thing that I can wear and weight bear on. Its my left ankle so I would need as stick/crutch on my wrist side but I can't do that as I have something wrong with that wrist. I'm waiting for a steriod injection and if that doesn't give relief then the Orthopedic Dr will I think do a arthroscopic surgery was yours painful afterwards? Did it help?
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,

I'm still having problems with my ankle and suspect I'll be facing a fusion after all with the way things are going. However, just because my arthroscopy may not have worked for me, it doesn't mean a 'scope won't work for you.

As for the crutches, have you thought about using a "gutter" crutch? Have a look online. If you have an ankle arthroscopy, you'll either be partial weight-bearing with crutches after or non weight-bearing with crutches.

The phsyios will help guide you through what the best way will be for you to move around when you are post-op. I'd have a word about this with your consultant when you see him/her to discuss next steps.

Hope you get some positive results soon.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • smiley613
    Options
    Hi GraceB
    Thanks for your advice I will talk to my consultant when I next see him. I love your motto at the bottom of each reply