Post op dosage of arnica

Options
newhipandy
newhipandy Member Posts: 60
edited 8. Sep 2015, 06:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All

I have seen arnica recommended for bruising and thought it would be a good addition to the meds box. However, I am confused by the dosage. I have some 6C and some 30c potency. Some advice suggests taking it pre-op (which I am wary to do as have stopped my anti-inflamms and am just relying on paracetamol at the moment ... not much help!) but most advocate post op. But I am not familiar enough with homeopathic medicine to know the right dosage ... I am sure someone here can help? thank you in advance.

Three sleeps until I meet my new hip :o

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The numbers refer to the potency(not the same as strength). I would think that you will probably need 30c, but it would be worth contacting the manufacturer to seek advice about dosage and pre and post op regime if you can't ask a registered homeopath. Also ask about things like coffee and mint. When I first had homeopathic remedies 35 years ago everyone was strict about taking on a clean tongue, ie away from food and drink, and avoiding coffee and mint as they can negate the remedies, but more recently I've noticed people aren't apparently told this or it isn't considered to be a problem.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope the op goes well. It may be wise to check with a pharmacist or doctor about potential drug interactions before trying homeopathic remedies, some remedies will create adverse side effects when mixed.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I wouldn't dream of taking arnica, or any other unauthorised tablets, post op. Be guided by your surgeon and maybe consider applying a topical ointment, carefully avoiding the wound, once the bandages are off. Bruising has to happen if you think what has been done and is only going to dissipate slowly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • newhipandy
    newhipandy Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Many thanks for your helpful replies, all. I certainly wouldn't take anyting without informed advice so will check it out carefully.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello newhipandy
    I took the 30c ones for a week before and carried on for a couple of weeks after..my surgeon knew I was taking them and had a read a paper that recommended them..I will be doing the same when I have this other hip done..best to take it before the op has well..hope it all goes well for you..if you google it there is lots of info..
    Love
    Barbara