Blooming ankle

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 16. Sep 2015, 16:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm getting extremely frustrated and annoyed with this. Be warned - this is a moan - sorry.

I had an arthroscopy under a GA on 8th July (day case), my consultant scraped away OA damage from the subtalar/calcus joints, as well as inspecting my cartilage which he said afterwards was extremely thin but intact at the time of surgery.

I had 3-wks off work post-op and had my foot elevated a large proportion of that time. When I went back to work (I work part time) I elevated my foot under the desk to try to reduce the swelling and still do in the afternoons.

I am still getting pain in this joint, it still swells up like a melon on the outside of the ankle and around the heel. When it swells I can feel the skin tingling as it's stretching to accommodate the swelling. I am having to use tubigrip to keep the swelling under some sort of control, but as soon as it comes off, well, the effect is spectacular!

It's been locking - even when I'm in bed - and seems to go into spasms at times also. The Achilles tendon at the back of the heel is so tight I am unable to pull my toes to my shin if my foot is flat on the floor with my knee at a 90 degree angle. If I move the ankle side to side it hurts. Getting trainers on - even with the trainer as widely open as the laces will allow - hurts. I'm still having to wear C**cs for work as whilst I can now get a trainer on that foot, after two hours it comes off - quickly!

I am due to see my consultant again on 23rd Sept for a second post-op check and am dreading him telling me it now needs fusing as my home situation really isn't conducive to me being off my feet.

I'm sorry for the moan but I know you understand. I will, in my usual way, keep plodding on.

Thanks for reading.
GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Having read this I don't blame you for feeling fed up! It sounds awful and I expect it is even worse coming after an op that I presume was supposed to make things better for you.

I hope a solution can be found for you when you have your next appointment.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Grace,

I can understand your pain and frustration - I take it the op you had was to try to avoid the need for a fusion?

I haven`t had any ankle surgery, apart from surgery to both Achilles, which was before I got RA. I remember the very tight feeling you describe, and the bruising/swelling lasting a long time, though I did have physio after both ops.

I hope your appointment later in the month brings you some answers, preferably ones that don`t include the word `fusion!`

Sorry I can`t really be of any help.
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

The outside of my ankle currently looks like a melon yet again. I am hoping that the consultant will be able to work out what's going on and what we need to do next. I've not had any post-op physio on this to-date so I wonder if that's what he'll suggest. I'll be asking for another MRI I think so he can see clearly what the current position is.

Unfortunately I can't take anti inflammatories which is a shame as I suspect that would be the obvious solution to the swelling.

Roll on the 23rd - at least I'll be able to see what's what then.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It will seem a long fortnight but I guess he's the only one who can properly explain and advise. It seems a bit odd to me that you're OK to work and to walk on it but have been given no post op exercises. I've not had foot surgery though. I hope further surgery can be avoided but, as you know, arthritis turns a blind eye to home circumstances.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Grace I do feel for you, we have these procedures and hope and pray they work..surgery is always a big worry, but maybe the fusion is the answer.fingers crossed it does improve in the next 2 weeks...
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    (((()))) Mig
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The only physio advise I was given on day of the op was to "wiggle the ankle and keep it moving as much as I could". That was it! :!:

As for work, I work in an office so am at a desk. I drive an automatic car and this is my left ankle so from the driving point of view, it's the "redundant leg". :lol:

I finished work today at 1.30pm, and got home about 2pm. My tubigrip came straight off and within an hour my ankle had blown up like a balloon again. I'm reluctant to leave the tubigrip on longer, but am starting to think that's the way this is going as it does keep the swelling at bay.

When I had knee arthroscopies in the past they bought me a year or so and then failed, so a matter of weeks is rather disappointing. However, the 23rd is now only - as SW says - a fortnight off so at least then I'll be able to ask questions about this.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I've been away and am now catching up. I suspect that ankles are difficult areas when it comes to healing because no matter what we do they bear our weight as we walk - I don't know about you but my levitation skills leave a lot to be desired! They also lack flesh, bony areas can take longer to settle after they've been 'interfered with' which is not fun for the person living with it.

My physio for Achilles tendonitis taught me some useful exercises for stretching the thing but I don't know if you should be doing them post-surgery. The first one was to sit on the bed, with my legs out straight, and pull my feet towards me as much as I could. It doesn't sound much but after a few repetitions (I began with five twice a day and ended up with around twenty) it was freeing up. I was then given other things to do and they have helped. This is something you should discuss with your ortho when you next see him, which is in a week or so, yes? Keep resting your ankle as much as you can, elevation is taken for granted but maybe icing it might help too? I bought a lovely cold pack when I was away, if you want the details PM me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    Options
    DD, thanks for the reply. Lovely to see you back by the way. You were missed!

I see my consultant next Weds - 23rd - so will ask then about physio. I have tried to sit with my knee at 90 degree bend, foot at the same angle and then to pull my toes up towards my shin bone. However, the back of my heel is so tight that I can barely get anything moving. I've compared it to my good ankle and the difference is quite marked.

It's been wet here in Kent for days and days, oh it seems like we're in the middle of a long monsoon. :roll: As a result all my joints are flaring and I am really struggling at the moment. My ankle tonight has been absolutely awful and I've been gritting my teeth for a large part of the evening, and that's with my meds!

Thank you for the offer re the ice pack info, I will PM you as my peas have seen better days.

Thanks again.
    GraceB