Saw the consultant

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 13. Sep 2015, 14:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well te good new is that my MRI of my neck is ok, the fusion I had last year is fine, and there's been no change with the disc that has since started to prolapse so no immediate need for more surgery.

He took seriously what I said about the pain and agreed that long term use of Oxycodone to manage this is not an option and that there is a need to find out what is going on. He still seems to think it is something neurological, at least in part, and didn't seem too pleased that Neurology have discharged me. He is referring me for an EMG test of my nerves and I will see him again after I have had that done.

He said it is clear something is going on but it's not clear what. I feel pleased that he is doing what he can to try and find the source of the problem and when I see the physio next week who told me to request that I saw him again I must thank her too.

Will keep you posted.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This sounds like it was a good consultation and you sound happy with the plan of attack. It's always good when you have someone in that capacity who listens to you and takes seriously what you are telling them. I hope that the tests are done as quickly as possible so that you get your answers.

It may be worth you asking to go on the cancellation list for these tests, I always ask for this option as it usually cuts the waiting down even for a basic clinic appointment.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Yes, in our humble world of not particularly high expectations that sounds good news to me too, Slosh. You're in good hands.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Glad to see the MRI of your neck was ok slosh..and you do seem to have a good consultant there..you keep hold of him..good luck with the nerve test.
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Yes I echo the others sounds a good plan.Mig
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    That sounds like a good appointment Slosh, and you seem to have a good team looking after you. I hope you don`t have to wait too long for the test.
  • Slosh
    Options
    I think it's good that he will look outside his area if needed. He has said before that I am an interesting case as there does seem to be a combination of orthapedic and neurological problems and the difficulty is identifiying them.

Not really looking forward to this test, it involves needles and electricity and just makes me think of Frankenstien's monster.

Still I just hope that it does throw some light on what's going on.

He also seemed to be writing a lot on the referral form, not sure if that's good or bad!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad it was a productive appointment, but isn't it strange that each time we see a consultant we seem to be faced with yet another set of tests, xrays etc.

Deb x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good relationship with your consultant, I would be happy that he is covering all bases to find out what's going on with you. I know it's a pain in the a**e having to deal with more tests but in the end it will help find out what's going on with you.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you. He is very nice and the kind you can have a bit of a chat with if you know what I mean.
    Just waiting on the test appointment now, must admit to struggling at present emotionally, more tests and uncertainty, plus while physically I'm finding the benefit of working part time, emotionally I'm finding it hard to adjust to my new role in school, and this isn't being made easier by the attitude of the colleagues who have taken over my role.

I had a bit of a meltdown this week, and the deputy had a few tears from me when he came to chat over some stuff with me. Still I'm sure it will get easier and trying to establish a new role in school doesn't help.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I'm pleased that your appointment went well, Slosh and I hope your test proves useful in getting to the bottom of your pain. Fingers crossed that things quickly improve at school and your life becomes easier in that department.

Take care of yourself.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think, even without the pain factor (and don't you wish it could be so :roll: ) going back to the school in a different role while having to see others doing 'your' job which you liked must be very hard to handle. It's early days and I'm sure you'll handle it as you handle all the difficulties with determination and courage.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you. It's silly but it just feels like something else that has been taken away from me.

The chat with the Deputy did me good, he comes across as Mr Hard, but is actually very compassionate and understanding. What was best was that he asked me to do something which will be challenge in terms of teaching in order to get the pupils concerned to progress, but it felt great that he had faith in me that I would be able to do this. Had a lovely long phone chat with a work friend this afternoon who wanted to know how I was getting on.

It can only get better, work-wise at least!
    Julian of Norwich