mri scan

Options
jdm
jdm Member Posts: 17
edited 11. Sep 2015, 08:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I am having an mri on my spine and pelvis tomorrow and am very nervous. I previously had an mri on my inner ear which was only about 20 mins but I found it so hard and realised then that I am claustrophobic! I have had seroneg arthritis for 20 years, with symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis and crohns for the past 4 years (im difficult to diagnose!). Any tips for coping with the scan much appreciated!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello jdm
    I have an awful fear of enclosed spaces, and was terrified at my first MRI..it was only 15 mins and I manged but my second one a full spine and sacro joint was around 35 mins..must say it didn't feel that long..the only advice I have is just close your eyes and think of something nice..they are noisy has you know ,the headphones help a little ...some do let you take your own music..good luck ..you can do it if I can.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I have a real problem with enclosed spaces, but managed the 40 minute scan on my shoulder/neck last year......unfortunately the music wasn't working so I sang my favourite songs to myself, and planned what I was cooking for tea, and where we could go at the weekend etc, all manner of distractions. I hope you get through ok, I was told it's possible to get some 'relaxing' medication ahead of time if needed, so perhaps you could talk it through with your GP and see if they can help?

Deb x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I've had several MRI scans and most of the time the ability to play music either hasn't worked or wasn't loud enough! :roll:

I try to disassociate myself from what's going on, close my eyes and relax as much as I can.

Ask the person doing the scan to tell you when each phase is starting and how long it's going to be. You should be given a button you can push if things get too much for you. Make sure you tell the staff how you feel and they should be able to reassure you.

I hope it goes well. Please let us know how you get on.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • jdm
    jdm Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you for all your messages, I had the mri last night and found it ok apart from triggering a very nasty migraine!
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Ask to be sedated. I was told that this is possible. I had not got the courage to press the button whilst having a shoulder scanned from 4 different angles as my wife had got up early to get me in for a very early appt.
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I had my MRI scan a few years ago.

Fortunately I wasn't in the tube for long. Around 30mins.

You can take music with you that they can play on a CD through headphones. I would try this. Just close your eyes and focus on the music.

You don't feel anything during the MRI, but the noise of the machine can be quite scary.