APPLYING FOR BLUE BADGE

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 18. Sep 2015, 17:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I'm not looking forward to this but I'm applying for my BB
This will be the third one {if I get it} but its so completely different to the other applications.
One question is about how far you can walk without sever pain. It doesn't say {in that question} whether it means with or without aids.
Some of the other questions say answer thinking about the aids you use.
I'm on crutches permanently and don't do to badly on them {after 20 months}
With one I can only do a few steps without pain and and as for none.....that's a no no apart from around the living room leaning on the furniture as I go
I've rung the consultants secretary to ask for a letter but just got an answer phone so waiting for a reply from her.
Sorry about all this.....thanks for reading.....if you have got to the end :lol:
I've never had an assessment of any sort. Don't get any benefit except my BB so I cant go back to those

Love
Hileena

Comments

• DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    At the old Blue Badge!
    I am fortunate to have one, but what a bloomin pain it was getting it!
    (I have RA).

My GP gave me the advise that when you fill out the form, put all the details down as if you are having your worst day.

This is what I did and I was granted a Blue Badge (after having to go for an assessment).

None of us know how far we can walk on any given day!!!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

I can`t offer any advice, sadly, but wonder if you can enlist the support of your GP? He/she may be able to write something for you.

Good luck anyway,

Tezz x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I applied, and got, a discretionary blue badge from my Local Council. I had to fill in a form and I also sent in a letter explaining why I was requesting one along with proofs of address, photo etc and a cheque for a small sum to cover the cost if I was successful. I had a home assessment from an OT who talked to me and then saw me walking outside.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    I've got a Blue Badge form sitting on my shelf at the moment and am toying with whether or not to fill it in. I'm not a driver so it would really be for when I'm out with OH. I don't fancy the assessment thingy and I know I would have to have one as I've never had a badge before - was only diagnosed in July with RA and Vasculitis.
    I saw the question you mentioned but I'm sure in my form it does mention 'aids if used'. Its the bit after that I had to laugh at, the bit that basically is saying 'if you have rest how much further can you walk'. When OH saw that question he said 'you can't!'. If I walk to the point of severe discomfort, the only real answer for me is a lie down and some painkillers and if I can't do that then and there it takes an enormous amount of talking-to-self and positive thinking to get me to the parked car or the bus stop.

I hope you're successful with your application, it's an awful size of form that needs completed these days, it used to be much simpler.
    let us know how you get on
    good luck
    slomo
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks for the replies
    We are lucky to have them.....they are a godsend even if it is such a hassle getting them. My first one was really easy.
    Tezz I did ring my Consultants secretary but haven't got a reply from her. If I cant get her on Monday I'll try the GP
    I wouldn't think about doing it....do it!!!!
    Think about your OH. At one time before I had one mine used to have to drop me close by places, {rain hail or snow} then find a parking place, come back and get soaked and then the reverse going home.
    He never said a word. It was someone else who pointed it out to me.
    Oh well hopefully it will be done and dusted ....sent off......with the paperwork etc by mid week

Love
    Hileena
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hileena,

Hope you get the forms sent off next week without any hassle and that you get a positive result.

As I'm (currently) on DLA I get my blue badge automatically and I wouldn't be able to manage without it. It's invaluable to me.

What irks me is when you see thoughtless people using blue badge spaces when they've no business doing so. I have been known to put a rather pointed - and sarcastic - note under the wiper blades of the offending car.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Grace
    Well done you. Not sure what I will do without mine if I don't get it.
    It annoys me when I see people parking that shouldn't. That's what makes it so hard for the rest of us to get one.
    I've never put a note on yet but have thought about it.!!!!!!!

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help as mine's semi-automatic given my Mobility Allowance. I hope it goes well for you, Hileena.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I also have my BB, I would answer the questions like it's your worst day and need to go out somewhere. I got my BB along with my DLA like GraceB, but I do hope you get it.
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I applied on line, very very easy

The big thing is let them have access to your medical records

I got mine with in the week,

James