Diagnosis delays

Options
Louise81
Louise81 Member Posts: 9
edited 18. Sep 2015, 04:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
I'm really sorry but this is probably more of a bit of a rant than a proper posting but the last two days have been difficult and confusing. Yesterday morning I had a doctors appointment where I was signed off work for yet another week (I'd rather be back at work but right now know I can't physically manage) and I was told some of my blood tests had come back showing elevated inflammation levels. However literally 10 minutes ago I got a call from the surgery saying that some of the sample given had leaked in transit so they can't get full results and I have to go back on Wednesday and have another blood test. This is after the blood test I have at my rheumatology appointment back in June dissapearing. I'm so upset, I'm so sore and tired and just want to know what's wrong with me so that I can do something about it and start getting my life back.
Yesterday I also had a physio appointment where the physio squeezed my hands and examined the joints and told me she couldn't feel any inflammation so she thought I probably have fibromyalgia or chronic pain syndrome. I did explain to her that I've been on anti inflammatory meds and that my hand joints aren't the only joints affected but was sent away with some exercise putty and one very confused brain.
I have no idea what to think anymore. I'm so tired and sore today and now feel so defeated.
Louise xx

Comments

• Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, I understand how frustrating it can be and how long it can take for diagnosis (especially when they are messing up your bloods). My journey started with blood tests showing inflammation in my body but the problem with that blood test(if its the same blood test that I had), what my Doctor explained to me, is that the inflammation could be anywhere in the body and he said it could even be from having a cold or something totally non related to joint issues/swellings etc. My blood test may be different type than yours so it may mean something else. I agree though that when I went onto anti inflam medication it did the trick the markers went down and the swellings.

It is hard to remain positive but your on the right path, diagnosis and knowing exactly what is going on and causing so much pain or issues is the first step and then you can start to manage it. Hope it all gets sorted for you soon. :)
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi, I'm not surprised you feel defeated. To have bloods go missing once is bad enough, but twice would try anyone's patience.

The anti-inflammatories may well have reduced the swelling in your fingers,but it would be better to see a rheumy than a physio. We're you given any medication at your June appointment? And is there a follow-up planned with your rheumy?

It's sometimes very difficult to get a firm diagnosis, so I hope the situation improves soon.

Incidentally, were you offered a stomach protector with your anti-inflammatories, such as Omeprazole? It gives you some protection from potential tummy issues.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    We all have hiccups with blood tests from time to time. Two consecutive ones sounds a bit unfortunate and I can understand your frustration and desire for a 'proper diagnosis' but not everyone shows clear cut symptoms and / or bloods. So, even when the results are in, you may be no further forward.

You seem to have a good GP who will be thorough and that is very good. Physios are not diagnosticians though they will pick up some expertise along the way. If you've been referred to her for your hands then your hands are all she will deal with. Whatever the diagnosis exercise is good so make good use of that putty :D

I'm afraid, with arthritis of any kind there's a great deal of waiting and wondering. It doesn't stop with diagnosis. It's part of our lives.

Please let us know how things progress.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    'Hurry up and wait' is one of the NHS' mantras when it comes to us patients. I've not had any troubles with bloods going missing but I have been recalled by the GP to redo the tests whilst rheumatology have been perfectly happy with the initial results.

It is a frustrating time, we want to get on and get sorted but diagnosing any form of auto-immune arthritis can be a very time-consuming process. The fact that the physio couldn't feel any inflammation in your hands is interesting but the elevated figures are an indication that something is amiss. I hope the next set of bloods don't go missing and that you can take the next step, whatever it might be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    It took me several years to get conformation of a correct diagnosis, different consultants said different things. But that was before all this modern technology. It's a pain in the bum when things go missing or mislaid but that's the NHS for you!! I'd rather do another set of bloods and wait for the correct results rather than incorrect results being given.