Insurance quotes for RA sufferers.

Options
spidey23972
spidey23972 Member Posts: 21
edited 12. Sep 2015, 11:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having recently been diagnosed with RA I'm now having my first experience of disclosing my disease to a business, my car insurance company. Does everyone disclose this to companies that ask for any medical condition (yes I know it's the law)!! Once you disclosed your condition did premiums go up drastically on insurance policies? Can anyone suggest what companies do need informing? Sorry if posted in wrong forum.

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I have a Motability car so don't hold my own private insurance car policy. However, I am a named driver on my partner's car insurance. We wrote to his insurance company to notify them of my Osteoarthritis and asked them to confirm in writing that this has been recorded by them. We got our response. We kept a copy of our letter and put this with the reply that we received and still have these to this day.

I'd err on the side of caution and tell them if it were me. However, I'd put it in writing, and send it recorded delivery so you can track the letter all the way through.

Hope you get this sorted.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi spidey, I have OA and a neurological disease. I was never asked for any more money on my insurance when I informed them, I don't know whether it is any more expensive or not as I use a comparison site and change my company every year. I also informed the DVLA and was put onto a three year licence which is getting reviewed at this moment, I had forms to fill out and they contacted my consultant which took quite a few weeks they sent me a letter to cover me until my licence has been sorted out. It is up to you whether you want to contact them or not but in the chance of an accident it may go against you if they haven't been informed. I have just remembered I think you can go onto their site and it will tell you if they need to be informed or not. Let us know how you get on...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Spidey I have just had a look on the DVLA site and it just says Arthritis and checked it out, you only need to inform them if you have your car altered in any way you can check it out yourself for peace of mind. I should have checked it out before I replied my excuse it is the wee small hours and I'm getting tired, off to bed now..................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • spidey23972
    spidey23972 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you both for the replies, my car insurance is due next month, so I see no need to inform them till my renewal, was just wondering if people's premiums went up from previous years, when they first had to disclose their condition.