Steroid injection into elbow, quick query

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 17. Sep 2015, 03:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a steroid injection into my left elbow this afternoon, not for arthritis but for an inflamed tendon. The doctor told me to rest it as much as possible for the next two days and when I asked, told me not to go into work Wednesday (driving, using computer etc), and the fact that when I'm out or on my feet for more than a few minutes I use two crutches.
Is this really necessary? Or is she just being over cautious? Also I've been getting a lot of pins and needles in my left hand this evening, is this normal?
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never had a steroid jab in the elbow but I've had them in knees and shoulders and, to be honest, yes you should rest it. The more you move the joint the more the steroida will dissipate elsewhere rather than hanging about where needed. You might get away with it but.... Sorry, Slosh. I don't think that's what you wanted to hear.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    That's ok. Thanks for the quick reply. I have been good this evening and I have cancelled tomorrow 's plan to take my daughter to hospital for some blood tests and then do a bit of shopping.
    I just wanted to check the Dr wasn't being over cautious but I will follow orders to give it the best chance of working.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I've had steroid injections to the wrist, not elbow. I believe resting the joint gives the medication the best chance to work; anything you do increases circulation which will dissipate the medicine more quickly. I had tingling and pain with one injection, I think it happens when the needle is placed close two a nerve. Mine went away after about one week.

Good luck, I hope it helps.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've always been told to rest the injected joint for at least 48 hours and that means doing very little. There's no guarantee that it will help but why not give it the best chance? I hope it works. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    I'm all for giving it every chance to work! Just annoyed it means taking a day off work.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I had my elbow injected in my pre-RA days, for tennis elbow. My arm was put in a sling for 48 hours.

Hope it works for you.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Have had a couple of injections in my elbow and was told to rest for 48 hours so you are doing the right thing Slosh hope you get relief from it xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're nearly forty-eight hours on, how is it feeling now? I hope you have been able to rest it as much as possible. DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    Well I have been good, if there's a chance of getting rid of one pain I 'm going to give it every chance of working. Very frustrating as it's really limiting what I can do, normally I would be doing a bit of origami or pottering around the house. I have taken the day off as well.

I haven't really "prodded" it to test it or used that arm and generally itjust feels a bit stiff, tender and achy though very painful if I have put any weight on it. Overall though it does seem to be feeling a bit better so fingers crossed!

I had been using an elbow support on it, especially when at work, one of those stretchy things and just wonder if I shoukd take it with me tomorrow in case it gets painful.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad to hear it feels a little better. I do think the resting thing is worthwhile to give the jabs a better chance of working. By way of encouragement, I've found that my sore joints tend to keep on improving for several days before the full effect is felt, so hopefully there's more relief to come.

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Well the 48 hours is up, so I'm starting to relax and start it moving. Thanks for letting me know it'll take a few days to work, the GP didn't tell me any of this! It wasn't my usual one, but another whom he had told me to see as she was the best at injections. So hopefully over the next few days I will get the benefit.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Slosh, I hope you find this helps. I have always been told to rest a steroid injected joint for 48 hours like the others have said.

Try not to over-do things, take it steady.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Options
    So far so good. If nothing else it was much less painful in bed last night which in itself is a big improvement. Back to work today, but I am feeling hopeful.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I clearly remember the hurt of an injected joint once everything had worn off, it's a pain like no other. I am pleased that it may be helping but still take things easy on that side for the next couple of days. My fingers are crossed! DD