A bit of a strange one...

Options
Pear15
Pear15 Member Posts: 17
edited 17. Sep 2015, 04:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

This is a bit of a strange one as I don't know if this is caused by arthritis or having plate and screws :roll:
But I find that my ankle locks in one place, I can't move the foot and the pain is unbelievable.

If anyone has experienced this it would be great to hear!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I find that either of my big toes can go into spasm: they become rigid, at an angle of around 45 degrees to my foot and oh boy, they hurt, a really sharp pain, similar to cramp but they eventually soften and relax. I think it happens because either I move them awkwardly or I've been in one position for too long. I wonder if a similar reason triggers your ankle? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Not in my ankles but my knees used to lock before they were replaced. When I sat down it took a while before I could bend them.

I see from your thread on 'Say Hello' you're planning on seeing an orthopaedic surgeon. I think that's your best way forward.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Patcher
    Patcher Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi
    I have not had problems with my ankle "locking" but like stickywicket my knee locks and sometimes when I go to stand I fall back into chair as knee won't take weight. Causes problem if happens at work as chair on castors and have been known to land on floor!!!! Have also had big toe go into spasm and pain in shin is really bad until it eases. I am guessing ankle issue is similar thing and I sympathise with the pain you experience. Can be really frustrating
    Patcher
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    My ankle has been locking, giving way and going into spasms and I can sympathise with you as it's not nice at all. Having had one partial knee replacement (right knee) I got used to that locking and giving way. It seems to be part and parcel of having the lovely osteo arthritis for me. My left knee needs replacing and this is now also starting to lock up.

I read your post with interest as I had arthroscopic surgery on my ankle early July and the aim then was to try and delay a fusion. Having experienced the problems I've already described, I suspect that the fusion is still on the cards for me!

If I were in your position, my first port of call would be my GP to ask for x-rays. You also need effective pain control by the sounds of things. You may also find it useful to use a stick (or elbow crutch) in your opposite hand. For example, I have a knackered left ankle and knee, so my elbow crutch goes in my right hand. Can you get back to your consultant? Ring his/her secretary, explain what's going on and say you need to have a clinic appointment. You may well find that the pain from the screws can happen, I think I can remember seeing somewhere that some people have the screws out after a year, whereas other people have them in permanently.

I hope you get this sorted.
    Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    dreamdaisy,

My big toe went into spasm for the first time in my life (over 80yrs) about two weeks ago and then a week ago both went into spasm at the same time. I attributed it to cramp after some fairly hard gardening re-shaping and re-planting our rockery.