ULTRA SOUND SCAN THIS MORNING AND GP THIS AFTERNOON

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 18. Sep 2015, 11:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Had an apt at the hospital this morning for an Ultrasound scan
I'm having a lot of problems with this trochanter fracture. In fact this week when I've wakened I've been crying with pain. That's not me!!
Scan showed bursitis but that wasn't were the main pain was coming from. It was the trochanter bone which she said was very inflamed and red. The consultant will have that on his system tomorrow morning but not sure how long it will take before I hear anything and possibly get any help.
OH nagged me into making a GP apt last week. That was for the afternoon.
His suggestions were to UP the codeine at night until I heard from the consultant as to what he was going to do.....Another injection?
He also suggested gel or cream as well.
OK I know....we are all different, the same thing doesn't work for everyone etc etc
Bearing that in mind.....I wouldn't mind some suggestions.
It cant be anything with an anti inflammatory in it, because I'm already on full dose of Naproxen so that rules a lot of them out.
I did a survey a while back and got quite a few Lloyds vouchers for doing it so don't mind trying some different ones even if they are a bit expensive
Love
Hileena

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Hileena, this is not like you at all, I am so sorry. On-going pain to this degree is not good but as we all know there is little to be done to truly relieve it. It seems to me that you are doing all that you can viz. meds etc. so my only suggestion is that maybe resting a little could help things to calm down, I know that you don't find resting easy but it might be worth a go. Good luck with the appointments, I can't come with you (alas) but I will keep an eye open for an update. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    This sounds awful and I really feel for you. I don't think I have any practical suggestions to make other than would a Tens machine be a possibility but is that out because of metal implants in the area?
    I just hope something can be done.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good luck.(((()))). Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    That sounds miserable, Hileena, and I do hope the scan will reveal something treatable.

I've no suggestions for pain relief that your GP wouldn't be able to do better.

I know you've tried physio. I don't know how mobile you are right now. Might it help to do more physio and more resting and not do much else for a while? Or, are you already doing that?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD, SW, Slosh & Mig
    Thanks......How well you know me DD :lol:

Slosh ...No the tens machine isn't out as far as I know. I just totally forgot I had one. Mush fish it out and try that again. Thanks

SW....I tried upping the codeine last night {a whole 15mg extra lol} but it helped a bit. I didn't waken up during the night although I was restless. When I did waken up I wasn't sore like I have been recently. Got out of bed...still not sore but then a few steps and that pain came back with a vengeance. It took my paracetamol and naproxen and about 2 hours of sitting and just moving a little bit before it went.
    Went to a market town near us Peter was going to a car boot sale, I took my scooter and stayed on the pedestrian walkways and wandered into shops. It helped going out.
    This afternoon involves Avon deliveries but that's just me sitting in the passenger seat with a box on my knee, sorting out orders, handing them to Peter and he does the leg work. Then ending up with Coffee somewhere :wink: Nothinbg else today
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    So the extra codeine helped. That's good.

I'm wondering about the 'scootering' though. I know getting out and about is very good for our morale and emotions but, although you're 'just sitting' on the scooter, you might be sitting on a seat which doesn't support your hip properly and also at an angle which isn't ideal.

I know you've seen several physios recently. What do they recommend? I'd still opt for at least a week of just rest and exercise and take stock at the end of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

That sounds really miserable. I'm not sure I have anything to add to the other suggestions, other than my mum, who can't take anti-inflammatories, was given a freeze spray by her GP for her knees, I think it helped a bit. My own GP has recently suggested pain patches (though I haven't plucked up the courage to use them yet) to keep a steady dose of pain relief over 24 hours......I wonder if it would help you at all?

Hope you get a response from your consultant really quickly.

Deb x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi SW
    I use the scooter very rarely but it felt OK especially since I was on a pedestrian walkway not a bumpy pavement.
    I got off a few times to walk into Boots for a few mins and a few shops like that....nothing strenuous then went for coffee until it was time to meet Peter.

Deb
    I have deep freeze gel which does help a bit.
    As for the patches, what's in them? A lot depends on that. I would need to check my other meds.
    I use ordinary patches during the day Cura Heat but they cant be worn at night
    Thanks for your advice.
    Love
    Hileena
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Aw Hileena, I read your post and wanted to reply but I'm really not sure if I can be of any practical help other than to send you my best wishes and to say that I hope you get this sorted really soon.

I can recommend something though. Chocolate!! :lol::lol:

If you can actually get into a bath what about a nice hot bath with luxurious bubbles, a good magazine to flick through, a glass/cup of your favourite tipple and the chocolate. Or a long hot shower, a hot water bottle, a cuddly blanket, glass/cup of your favourite fluid and chocolate. (You may be noticing a theme here?)

Please let us know how you get on. I'm sorry I can't do more to help.

Take care of yourself,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    If you can't wear the Cura Heat at night what about a hottie instead? DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Grace
    I love your reommendations :lol:
    I can struggle into the bath but not as often as I used to.
    In between times its the bath board across the bath, sit on that with water in the bath and also use the shower attached to the wall above the bath.
    The other shower we have is an en suite and is very tiny especially when you are trying to balance and have crutches :lol:
    So its definitely the bath or what I call half a bath :lol:
    I wont get completely in the bath if Peter is not in the house. Never had to yell for help yet but you never know.

We are both in tonight so might try it with all the extras tonight :wink:

DD. I have tried the hottie and it doesnt stay in place but I'll keep trying.
    I typed hottie into google one time when I was looking for one.......the things that came up :oops: :oops:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My mum used to have two, both around half-full, and she would lie on one and have the other draped over the upper hip (she was a side-sleeper). Another thought is an electric blanket (I wonder if they do zoned ones?) This could be kept on low all night thus providing a constant low-level heat.

I know we have to be wary about using things all night when the manufacturers say you cannot but I've worn a deep-heat patch all night with no trouble, and Ma used to leave her 'lecccy blankey on too in addition to the hotties: she felt the cold! DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    I'm a side sleeper as well. The ones I've got are the shap of a hot water bottle.
    I'll give it another try. My electric blanket can be left on the lowest heating all night. Only thing is I fin it hard to lie on the sore side
    I have always been tempted to try a patch overnight but never had the nerve......Might give it a try.

The sooner I hear from the consultant the better :roll:
    I'll ring his secretary on Monday.
    Thanks for all the tips
    Love
    Hileena