I am electronically tagged.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 22. Sep 2015, 07:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yup, they've caught up with me at long last :wink: In fact, I've tagged myself by choice.

During my recent physio for my Achilles tendonitis the lovely lass who was inflicting further hurt suggested that I could invest in one of these fitness tracker efforts. I have a pedometer function on my 'phone (which triggered itself and I cannot get rid of it) but because I carry the 'phone in my bag it records nothing. I tried those little ones that clip on but found the buttons far too small and fiddly. So yesterday, after drifting round Waitrose buying lovely food (I needed a treat) I wandered into the neighbouring John Lewis at Home and made my way to Testosterone Corner (tellies, sound bars, digital cameras, radios, fancy alarm clocks etc.) and investigated their gadgets.

The one I liked the look of was £99 and couldn't sync to my 'phone so no good. I found one that looks like the white side of a large counter from an Othello set which can be worn on the wrist, ankle, chest, anywhere you like. :shock: I had a pleasant surprise when I took it to the till, instead of £40- ish it was £25- ish. :D Once home I managed to download the stuff from the Play Store, sync it to my 'phone and it set some targets.

It's interesting. It set me walking for one and a half hours, running for 55 minutes or swimming for 45 minutes, all in a 24 hour period. If one belonged to The Healthy Gang it might expect you to do all three but I am sticking to the walking. Your progress is shown by pressing the middle of the white disc and little red lights illuminate - the further round the clock face they go the more you have achieved. In wearing it for half a day I managed to illuminate six, so not bad going I reckon, that equals at least 45 minutes of walking activity, albeit all round the house (and the garden just to get it going). I think I prefer it not counting steps, I feel that would be demoralising as I fail (yet again) to reach 10, 000 but I can see how much I have been moving. It is waterproof to 30 metres so I should be OK in the shower and it can monitor your sleep. No thanks, I know what mine is like and I don't want to disappoint it.

There are all sorts of versions out there, varying in price: if you want to pay more you can but I don't see why. I'm hoping the novelty value of this will last for a while, we are going to Cambridge at the weekend so I should be able to get all twelve lights lit! DD

PS If you would like details please PM me.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well, that was a bit of a let down, DD. The title of your thread sounded very plausible but the concept of you taking your first steps (pun intended) to becoming a gym bunny – that's just plain weird.

I must say the mind boggled at the concept of you running (Running? Whassat?) for 45 minutes. I suspect 45 seconds would be beyond you but at least you have the consolation of knowing you can perfect your high diving skills in the local baths. Tom Daley, beware!

OK, it's a great idea. I, too, have struggled with pedometers. They either don't record, over record or drop down the loo. Anything that encourages our creaky limbs to get into gear has to be good as long as we're sensible about it and – dare I say it – I think you will be. Go for it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    DD, I have to agree with Stickywicket. My eyebrows shot up extremely high when I saw your post title and I really wondered what on earth you'd been up to! :o

Years ago I used a basic pedometer (this was before my OA completely took over my body) and I wore this at work for a while to prove how much I was on my feet as I was in lots of pain. I regularly got up to 5,000 steps and bearing in mind this was when I was waiting for my TKR this was evidence I was doing too much. It also explained my pain levels then.

Nowadays I usually manage to do 15 minutes twice a week on a static exercise bike at a gym, and use a couple of machines that mean I'm non weight bearing. That's it for exercise. The swimming pool tends to be too cold for my joints so they spasm.

I am in awe of your ability to link your new gadget to your phone. I have a smartphone but haven't the foggiest how to "synch" (I think that's the right term) any item of IT equipment to another.

I will never be able to go into John Lewis again without searching for "Testosterone Corner" ...

Take care of yourself,
    Grace
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    When I read the title I thought tagged, as in those gps tags attached to various animals under study, no offense to you, DD. They are placed on various parts like fins, backs and other areas that supposedly won't get bumped. Ouch! My background in biology coming through, I guess (sigh). Then, I thought maybe all us arthritics should be tagged and our movements studied. Possibly some of us would be taken more seriously then.

Please post your results. I've often thought it would be interesting to know how many pottering steps I take throughout the day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind responses, you are encouraging me to do more but I still draw the line at the running and swimming.

Well, the results of the first full day are in and I am staggered (and staggering). The face of the device has twelve red lights, as the day goes on more light up the closer you get to the goal. I haven't made it count my steps (and probably won't) but I reached the target of 1 1/2 hours walking by 4.30pm. By six pm they were all flickering like a Christmas tree. I had been a little more active than usual due to a painter coming round to quote for daubing the insides of No.10, and I have another one this morning, but I have reached the conclusion that I am more active than I thought. No.10 is a long house, thanks to various ground floor extensions added over the years, even traipsing from the bedroom to the kitchen is around 160 paces there (and the same back), from the kitchen to the bins at the bottom of the drive is 170, ditto, so I must be achieving around 5000 steps per day, which is satisfying. Of course I don't spend entire days going from bedroom to kitchen and kitchen to bins but they all add up, yes?

I shall don it after my shower, another busy day beckons but I have had to up the co-cos, not ideal from my point of view. I aim to illuminate six lights, I think that will be enough. I think I'm right in saying that every athlete needs a period of rest between training bouts. :wink: This one certainly does. DD
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi DD

I love my plain and simple Omron Pedometer. I only use it for steps. I am not interested in calories or that kind of thing. I do not get upset if I do not get to 10,000 steps a couple of days a week. Over the week it all balances out. I have read somewhere that 6,000 steps per day suffices and any more steps a bonus but the 10,000 steps number is in my brain now. I must admit I would be interested to see my sleep pattern but the Omron does cater for that.

Keep on moving, ;)
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    It sounds great. I am looking into one and shall PM you.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's been going well, I have to say. I am not wearing it today, however, because things are truly rough. No matter, they will improve back to the giddy heights of moderately grotty, they usually do! DD