hyaluronan injections

Options
Seasea
Seasea Member Posts: 9
edited 18. Sep 2015, 05:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been offered Hyaluronic Acid injections for the OA in my knees. Has anybody had any success with this? Or otherwise?

Many thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've not had these and according to Arthritis Research UK they are 'not effective' in knee OA although a much smaller study conducted a few months later in Spain concluded that they were helpful. https://tinyurl.com/of76tpv I think NICE still don't recommend them but I do understand the concept of any port in a storm.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    I had a 3 wk course of Hylauronic Injections (Synvisc I think was the actual name) into my knee years ago. Didn't do any good at all for me, but then again I don't get any benefit from steroid injections either, whereas for other people I know they get fantastic results.

If you do have these, you have to keep off the joint for 48 hours so that means 2days with your feet up. I was allowed to pop to the bathroom, get snacks, drinks, etc., but that was it. I managed to get my injections done on consecutive Fridays so I had the weekend to rest the knee and it didn't impact on work.

Please don't let my experience put you off, what doesn't work for one person can work fantastically well for someone else.

Please let us know how you get on.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Seasea
    Seasea Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, this was thru the NHS so I don't understand if its not NICE approved??? Oh well, cortisone didn't work for me, so I'm willing to try - nothing lost if it doesn't work, much to be gained if it does as they won't do any knee replacements as I'm too young and its not quite bone on bone!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Actually, I don't understand it either but, apparently, a few will still offer them although they are not NICE approved.. I wish you good luck with them if you opt for that route.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright