Blinding Headache

Options
Brutha
Brutha Member Posts: 51
edited 19. Sep 2015, 04:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been having my bi-monthly flare up, which culminated in a trip to the gp yesterday and the magic depo medrone injection. I only went to him to get a docs note so that work would leave me alone whilst I waited for the rheum nurse, but my gp is a great bloke and did it there. As usual this injection has started to settle it all down. Can anyone shed some light on the splitting headache that accompanied the flare it this time though? I had a mild headache for 2-3 days before it went over the top. My neck was particularly bad (much worse than on a usual flare) and I suspect it was to do with that. Gp not sure but all my joints were in pain (aside from one hip and my elbows!) Does that sort of head ache sound Familiar to anyone? It was predominantly over the left side of my head and when I moved my head a wave of sharp pain ran over that side until I had kept it still for a minute or two.

This is the first flare I have had since I dropped the hydroxychloroquine for the mtx about 6 weeks ago. Could it be that stuff? I have RA.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mark;

I get these blinding headaches too and I think most of them are due to my neck arthritis. Mine are at the back of my head and radiate up to the temple area. It's complicated to decipher though, because I also get migraines and possibly headache due to Enbrel injections but I usually can determine whether it's due to a flare of neck arthritis. Horrible isn't it? I dread a flare involving my neck (I have PsA). Sometimes the actual neck pain can be pretty mild and I'll still have the blinding headache.

I hope you get some relief with yours.
    Anna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    That sounds horrible.

The only time I've had migrainy-type headaches has been when I've slept awkwardly on my neck. I now take my memory foam pillow wherever I go.

I would doubt it's anything to do with dropping hydroxy for meth.

I've found that anything that raises the body temperature can trigger a flare. I wonder if it could be the headache triggering a flare rather than being a symptom of it. Maybe you've had some sort of virus.

I hope it soon settles down.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Brutha
    Brutha Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

It settled down as soon when the steroid started to kick in. I think it might be a consequence rather then a cause. But I don't know for sure. I rarely get headaches and I have never had anything like that outside of an Oktoberfest hangover! I have to see the rheumatologist in November, I will see what he says then. I am scheduled to be visiting him when the next flare up is likely to occur, maybe that will help him shed some light on it.

Thanks again,

Mark
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but it's your mention of it being not so bad with your head still but breaking out as soon as you move it.

I have a fabric surgical collar (light, white and very bendy) which is very rarely used but, again, travels everywhere with me because it makes all the difference in an emergency. I use(d) it when I got these headaches and it did help a lot by holding my neck steady. I think it was the rheumatologist who prescribed it though your GP might be able to if you wanted to try one. I had to go to orthotics to get it. They shouldn't be used for long periods but 1-2 hours when stuff's bad does the trick for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright