And now I have...............

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 27. Sep 2015, 11:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
...........tonsilitis, just to make things even more uncomfortable. We had a mostly enjoyable week in Lochcarron, but the sore throat which arrived mid-week gathered pace, so we decided to leave a day early. By the time we reached Perth I felt awful, so we broke our journey there & carried on home yesterday.

I felt my throat was closing, so we 'phoned 'Out of Hours,' and was told to report to Urgent Care. The doctor took my temperature, high - and my BP, raised, & looked at my throat. He said it was tonsilitis, and asked had I been sick - I had. After prescribing a ten day course of penicillin, he told me to see my own GP on Monday, if possible, in case an abscess forms on my tonsils, even though I now have an anti-biotic. I didn't see that one coming.

Could you please keep all things crossed no abscess forms? I don't think I could cope with that just now, though of course I'd have to, obviously.

I'm feeling pretty rotten, living on yogurt & soup, but on the plus side, have already lost some weight.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Tezz! I'm going to put my anti-nuclear suit on and take a risk here (((())))

That was a rubbishy end to your holiday. I noticed in church this morning that the sneezles were all starting up again and made a dive for my anti-bac gel as soon as I got home.

You really didn't need this but you did the right thing. My throat closed up once with a 'cold' and I ended up in re-suss surrounded by docs, nurses and students.

I would guess you'll not be doing the RA meds this week. I certainly wouldn't.

I hope you caught it in time to prevent things getting worse.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    Yes, no RA meds for me for a couple of weeks, and I think that the 'flu jab scheduled for Tuesday will probably not be given.

I think Scotland is differed with me - last time I came home with shingles.
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Poor you Tezz, thinking of you and hoping for no access in sight anywhere. I think our Scottish beasties and bugs must find you a dainty delectable treat to feast on! These things always seem scarier when you're not on home turf too.
    All fingers and toes crossed for you
    slomo
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Awww Tez,
    That's all you need on top of everything else
    You pamper yourself.......don't know about your meds because I have OA not RA
    Let us know what the doc says

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What a nightmare, I am sorry. Despite our best efforts nasties creep under our radar and make themselves at thoroughly at home before revealing their presence :( which is most irksome. :x I hope the penicillin soon starts to work, I agree with the no RA meds strategy and let's hope you soon start feeling better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How goes it? Thinking of you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope your antibiotics are starting to do their stuff, and that you are beginning to feel a bit better now. Take care.

Deb xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Oh no! What a horrible end to your holiday Theresak. I know what you mean about the snufflers and coughers. Time to think about hibernating and flu jabs! :( Hope the antibiotics kick in soon. (())'s
  • theresak
    Options
    Thanks folks - really not a good day today, sorry.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sorry too. Please don't apologise for being ill, Tezz. Just keep warm and hydrated and don't worry about the niceties of the forum. We'll still be here when things are better for you. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • Cate
    Cate Member Posts: 280
    Options
    Wishing you well - literally - Tezz....Cate.x.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I hope you are feeling a tiny bit better.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    ((())) I hope things are improving but, please, no replies until you're up to it.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We're here, end of. You concentrate on getting better (and yes, I use that term in its loosest sense). ((( ))) DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Still thinking of you, Tezz. Please stay away until better but I just wanted you to know you're missed. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    Thank you for thinking of me. Having seen my GP on Tuesday there was no sign of an abscess, thankfully, but he wasn`t satisfied with the look of my throat, possibly due to the fact that the antibiotics prescribed at the hospital were making me sick, so clearly not doing their job. He switched me onto a different one, which is more tolerable, and when he came today he said things were improving, so hopefully the worst is over.

I`d also managed to acquire a UTI - greedy so and so that I am : one infection not enough. This being the case he is going to speak to my rheumy to see if she thinks it would be best for me to delay re-starting humira after all the germs have gone. Normally I`m told to allow three days and then re-start, but he feels my immune system has taken a battering, and it may be better to have a longer gap. Bless him, he wished he had a `solution,` but as I`ve learned to my cost, RA is indeed a complex beast. Anyway, poor man, he is checking me over yet again next week - I should have a season ticket - then I may be able to have my flu jab.

I feel washed out, run down, and as limp as a wet rag - but I appreciate all your kind messages and hope to be a fully-participating forum member very soon.

Thank you all.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad to hear that you're beginning to feel a little more human, sounds like you have a treasure in your GP. Keep taking care!!!!!!!

Deb xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Oh Dear Tezz

I do hope you will soon be on the mend now you can tolerate the new antibiotics.

Wise decision by the Doc to delay your RA meds until your body has had a chance to recover from the infections.

Take care

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I've been thinking about you but being under the weather myself I haven't been around much. I hope that you soon start to feel better thanks to the new anti-bios, I know they can a while to take effect. DD