First visit with rheumatologist

Options
Jen
Jen Member Posts: 155
edited 29. Sep 2015, 07:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Any tips please?

I've downloaded pdf A prescription for success and have read Making most of appointment.

Wondered if any one can suggest other from experience and also what sort of tests likely to be carried out, how long did your first consultation take.

Many thanks Jen
flower2520paars.gif~c200

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the things you refer to and it's far too long ago when I was diagnosed for my experiences to be of any help. We did have someone wrote a very detailed thread about her first visit but I'm afraid I can't remember her name.

I suggest you just write down any questions you want to ask and remember to listen carefully to the answers. (I know that sounds crazy but we can be so anxious to remember all our questions that we completely forget the replies.) And then relax.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I agree with sticky, write down any questions you want to ask and remember to take them! I have forgotten to take my list of questions before! :oops: Also it maybe worth taking a list of the meds you are taking, I carry a prescription list on me at all times. The appointment could take anyone's guess being the 1st appointment. Usually you are weighed and have blood pressure while there and if you reread your letter you may find they ask you to bring a urine sample, Can't remember if they did on the 1st appointment. You maybe asked also to have an x-ray and also a blood test. I hope this will give you an idea what to expect!
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I had a 1st visit with a rheumy 12 months ago and can remember it quite clearly. I remember quite a long wait in the waiting room so don't forget to take a drink and magazine with you. Whilst in the waiting room you are handed a sheet of paper to write down all your medication on and a diagram to circle where it hurts kind of thing.(maybe bring a pen along too) This seems common practise with most hospital appts. I also remember a part on the form asking how my ailments affected my daily life and having to score it out of ten. I know different hospitals and areas may have different ways of doing things but i have been to private and nhs hospitals with myself and husband and this seems common practice.
    The Rheumy started by asking me a few questions about my ailments and pain,family history etc and he had a report from the Doctor in front of him. He also had the blood test results from my doctor. But I suppose if you have not already had recent blood test/or they want to do their own sort of blood tests then yes you may have to have some and provide a urine sample. I was asked to get undressed and put on a gown in another room. It was ok because although my rheumy was male he called in female nurse. He then examined my joints on the bed. He felt along my fingers/back etc, but I suppose it depends which body part you need looking at. My rheumy was good to check all my joints, even the ones that don't hurt. After the examination we went back into his office discussed diagnosis. He arranged x rays (that I had to come back for another day), and wrote to my doctor to tell him what medical treatment I needed. He also sent me straight down for a heart scan. The problem was because I did not know what I would be diagnosed with I didn't take any questions and I wish I had taken someone with me to listen for me as I was too busy thinking about the diagnosis to really listen to anything after that. If I could go back now I would have loads of questions but I was referred straight back to my Doctors care. Hope it goes well for you let us know how you get on :D becks
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I remember my first appointment, it was in 2001 with a rheumatologist who was coasting towards retirement. Despite my left knee resembling a watermelon he assured me I didn't have an auto-immune inflammatory arthritis. Twerp.

There are around 300 forms of auto-immune arthritic troubles so diagnosis can be far from straightforward. If you present with exactly the right kind of trouble in the correct joints (and the blood work agrees) then you may get an answer there and then. Don't hold your breath. :wink: I was sent for Xrays and further bloods although he felt both were a waste of time despite my knee being around 24" in circumference.

Learning has progressed since 2001, I have witnessed that. GPs are more aware, people are being given the meds sooner rather than later so overall thins are improving. I sincerely hope you don't have an auto-immune, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jen
    Options
    Thanks all so much for your replies.

I didn't see the rheumatologist, instead I saw his Assistant.

Like your visit Rebecca but with some variations.

I go back in November for results of tests and xrays.

I did medical history and medication list before going, (probably advise others to do that too) as its what the Assistant went through along with the report from my GP.

Before going in for consultation the nurse weighed me, measured height, took blood pressure, pulse and I provided a urine sample.

After a long consultation with the Assistant to rheumy, checking limbs, checking liver, kidneys, mobility ability, I went for xray on my left knee (its bigger than the other and not had xray on it before) and went to pathology so blood could be tested. The assistant said various blood test for arthritis to get done and other checks, vit D levels B12 etc.

I did take copy of recent blood results and last scan results with me but he could access them himself on computer.

My appointment was 9.30, left hospital at 11.40am main wait was in pathology.

So really not any wiser at this stage but should know more in November when I go again.

I took my questions but still I clean forgot because he was quite thorough in his questioning and I guess the tests will reveal a clearer picture and I get another opportunity :)

Thanks again everyone.

t1.jpg

Best wishes Jen x
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I think that was a good, thorough appointment, Jen. If any questions still seem unanswered you can take them with you next time but I think he should have a clear picture from all that's been done.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi jen, Glad it went well and sounds like everything got covered that needs covering. It is another wait for your next appt, im sure it will be here before you know it. I know what it is like waiting for results and appointments... :x let us know how you get on...
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's along wait for results but it certainly sounds like a thorough appointment. My mother preferred older doctors for their experience, I always prefer the ones who are newer because they are not jaded or running on automatic pilot. I am fortunate in that my hospital is a teaching one so we get many fresh medical faces through rheumatology's door.

I would still keep a short diary of symptoms, tiredness levels, pain levels etc. so at your next appointment the docs will have further information about how you are being affected. We have these umbrella labels of RA, OA, PsA, AS etc. but we are all affected in slightly different ways. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jen
    Options
    Will do Rebecca.

thanks DD I have been keeping a diary, good tips. x
    flower2520paars.gif~c200