Follow up appointment

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 24. Sep 2015, 04:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have my second post-op appointment Wednesday morning with my ankle consultant and I have a nasty feeling he's not going to be too pleased with the state of things. Mind you, I'm not exactly delighted either, so that'll make two of us! :roll:

I had an arthroscopy July with the aim of trying to avoid an ankle fusion. My home life does not allow for me to have major surgery at the moment as I won't be able to manage afterwards. I'm braced for my consultant to condemn this joint.

I'm in a lot of pain, it's been locking, giving way and spasming -and as for the swelling - well :!:

If anyone else has been in this position, has an ankle brace helped long term? I wonder if the joint is held in one position, whether it'll fuse itself? I'm thinking about asking for a brace so that the ankle is supported and would be encouraged to "set". Thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope it goes better than feared, Grace. I know your home circumsances don't lend themselves to a prolonged convalescence. I guess that might have to be balanced against the prolonged difficulties of an unfused ankle.

Mine fused themselves, one completely and the other almost ie I have an almost imperceptive up and down movement in it. I don't recommend the DIY method but ankle fusion surgery was in its infancy when mine needed it. It seems I did a good job. The orthopaedic foot surgeon was very impressed when he saw the x-ray. Said he couldn't have done a better job himself. But it was pure luck. I very occasionally wore a cheap ankle support but mostly just struggled. Probably in my favour was that from my early 20s I had to wear surgical shoes so they were made to counteract all the lumps, bumps, misalignments and wanderings of my feet. And, at the time, I had a brilliant orthotist-cum-shoemaker who had a real instinct for gait.

Good luck with the appointment and let's know how it goes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace I am sorry, but hopefully the surgeon will be able to offer something other than a fusion..will be thinking about you..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    Thanks for your replies. I'll let you know how I get on.

GraceB
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Thinking of you Grace (((())))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Good luck Grace will be with you . Mig
  • GraceB
    Well I had my 10 minutes with the "man of the moment". To cut a long story short, the spasms, locking, giving way, massive swelling are all normal at this stage. He said he did microfracture during the surgery and it can take 6-9 months to know whether this has done any good.

So, I have to "grit my teeth" and get on with things. He didn't think physio would be helpful, even though I pointed out the Achilles tendon area of the heel was extremely tight.

I will see him again in February at which time he'll know whether or not the July op has been effective. Or not.

Ho hum, as DD would say.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I can understand your mixed feelings when all these nasty 'after effects' are described as normal. I've never had ankle surgery so maybe they are. He seems to think so and he also seems to think you're not going to damage his handiwork (surgeons are big on this) by doing what you're doing. So I'd say go ahead. I hope he's right and it all calms down in time. I guess you've nothing to lose by gritting your teeth and carrying on. You're good at that, anyway.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sending hugs Mig