Gabapentin Actavis Review

Options
cheveux
cheveux Member Posts: 11
edited 6. Oct 2015, 07:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Doctor prescribed,Gabapentain for my O/A condition. Just read the enclosed leaflet, and frighten my self with the side effect's any body on this medication. Would appreciate any comment's. cheveux.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Read any side effects leaflet and it becomes a matter of will-power to swallow the things.

I've never done gabapentin though I know some on here have. I hope they'll be around soon. Meanwhile remember that legally manufacturers must list all potential side effects. It doesn't mean you're likely to get any. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello cheveux
    I was on Gabapentin for quite a few years for my back, and now on the newer drug pregabaline..your gp will up it slowly, it does leave you tired in the beginning, but I soon got use to it..and it does help with the pain...and doesn't upset my tummy...hope it works for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The manufacturers have a duty of care in publishing side effect leaflets and, in my view, really go to town to cover themselves from potential law suits. I take a fair few meds and have no troubles with any of them probably because I blithely assume that all will be well. My favourites are the ones prescribed to help you sleep and warn that drowsiness may be a problem - well duh!

When we reach the point where we feel we need more medication (usually because less is not an option) then we have to decide what is right for us: run the risk of adding another trouble to our load or run the risk of things improving. I hope you find it helpful and not a bother - please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    As DD says the leaflets have to be warts and all, which can be alarming. Bear in mind that even if you have side effects they may well improve as your body gets used to the drug.
    Check if there are any 'Seek medical advice' warnings ( usually allergic reactions) as they are the ones that matter rather than the 'possible' effects - and make sure your GP is aware of all your health issues and any over the counter or alternative medicines you may be using - the pharmacist can advise on such matters as well. Then it's a case of 'suck it and see' so to speak!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Cheveux

I was on it about 10 years ago and gradually worked my way up to a HUGE dose.

This was the only medication I have ever taken that gave me NO problems at all :) To be fair I had been one some pretty heavy duty stuff before then.

Sadly it didn't work at all :(.

I was taking it for neuropathic pain.

Best of luck

Toni x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm on Gabapentin and have no problems with it. Yes reading the side effects is a scare. I'm taking a lot of medication so not sure which side effects are from which med.
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi i am on 1800 mg of Gabapentin daily for my O/A and Nerve damage in my lower body (from my hips down) . i have had no side effects and im fine with it .. i dont feel tired , it has helped me tremendously with my pain .. my dosage was increased slowly. it is the only pain meds that actually work at the moment for me

hope this has helped

emma xx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I take Gabapentin too, 1800mg. I have no side-effects although it was hard to get used to at first. I was agitated, the opposite of the stated side-effect of sleepiness. I persevered and side-effects went away. It really helps me with nerve pain.

Best wishes.
  • cheveux
    cheveux Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you for all your positive replie's, I have started to take my new medication, and hope to have a good response, over the next few week's. cheveux.