Depo Medrone injection

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 7. Oct 2015, 19:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi X

Had my first depo Medrone injection today X

Just wondered if anyone's had one what the side effects are and what effects it has ? I have unspecified seronegative arthritis xx

Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• Brutha
    Brutha Member Posts: 51
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,

I haven't noticed any side effects, but to be honest when I get them it is because I am flaring and can't function! I have been given six injections on an as needed basis since December for the sero-neg RA. Which was unspecified sero-neg arthritis when I got given the first one.

The injections work for me comfortably within 24 hours. Although I am sure I could almost feel the relief of the first one within less than 4 hours. It was indescribably amazing and surprising. They are not so much like that now, but certainly still very effective.

Now, I think I am at or near the limit for the amount allowed and they are going to be holding them back a bit more.

I hope it works for you.

Mark
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there,

I have Ra and have had several depo injections. I usually find it takes several days for the full benefit to be felt, then get several weeks of relief from the generalised pain. In terms of side effects I sometimes feel rather overheated afterwards, but that might also be my ' interesting' age :oops: . I am aware that for some on here the benefits are less good, so here's hoping you get some relief very quickly.

Deb x
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply a X tbh I didnt know they existed and wonder why I've never been offered one before ! - slightly concerned as I'm due to have cortisone injections in both SI joints in a couple of months and worried that I'll have too much cortisone in my body but rhumy registrar said it wouldn't effect it X god I hope this injection has some relief xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had numerous injections like these and the general side effect I've had is no difference in anything. For some they work, for some they don't, for some they work and then don't work, for others they don't work and then do. They are as temperamental as the disease.

I have always followed instructions to rest for 48 hours after injections into the joints, and to take things easy for 24 or so after the general-stab-in-the-backside kind. I hope it works, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    DD X I didn't know you were supposed to rest 24 hours after X thanks for that !
    Felt quite strange getting my cheek out for a stranger n leaning over the bed !- things we do for a chance of pain relief eh !! X
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Felt quite strange getting my cheek out for a stranger n leaning over the bed !- things we do for a chance of pain relief eh !! X

s040.gif
    Doesn't it just!!!

Best of luck with it hope it works really well

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I love 'em. They've always worked for me but, as with all steroid injections, the more you have the less effective they seem to be which is probably partly why they like to space them out.

I hope the one into the sacros helps too. I know 48 hr rest is advised for 'joint' injections but I'm not sure how one would rest the sacro iliacs as even lying or sitting they would surely be moving. Ask when you get them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Most of the depo injections I've had have been successful, especially if you get the rest period which helps them work. In my case, some have lasted longer than others, for some reason.

I've never had any side effects from them.
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    I'm wondering what the rest period means - is it doing less than you normally do or doing nothing at all ? I've pottered this morning X retired to bed now and watching a film :-) xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    If it's an injection into a specific joint it's easier to rest it, but an IM one, for me, means more 'feet up' time than usual.
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Feet are up, leopard print slippers on, cupa in hand, Xmas movie on tv x bliss xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've always defined rest as meaning doing far less than I would normally. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Thanks guys X not feeling effects as yet X in fact my poorly bits have been more in pain today than usual - wondering if it gets worse before it gets better ? Fingers crossed X night x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Lynnemarie

I think sit with feet up and make everyone wait on you kind of rest. Definitely leopard print slippers and Chrimbo films ;)

I hope that it's kicked in by now

Love

Toni xxx
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Huge thanks for all your replies X it turns out I've had a virus too X over the worst tho ! X

I think !! It's worked X I am in less pain but still stiffness?? Is that correct ? I stupidly thought it would take away all my problems!!

Silly me x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    That sounds about right to me.

Glad it's helping :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Depo IM worked like a miracle the first few times I had it...the swelling in my fingers reduced quite dramatically within 48 hours.

However I also felt quite 'wired' and energetic (for me) so the tempation is to over do it rather than rest, and then hurt yourself!

Over the years (10) they have less effect, but it can be random how well (or not) they work.

In terms of side effects, I do find it hard to sleep the first few days.

Also whilst going through the peri-menopause they increased my hot flushes/night sweats considerably.

Hope they help you :)

Trisha