Cheese graters

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 7. Oct 2015, 03:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
Does anyone have an electric cheese grater and would you recommend them ,we have the one with the little drum thingy that you turn, I can use it but sometimes do struggle .Mig

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry, can't advise on this one - I tend to buy packs of grated cheese if I'm using a recipe which calls for it. An electric one sounds like a good idea.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I scrapped our drum one because grip-and-twist is sometimes not possible. On the poorer days I use a supermarket's equivalent to a microplane which is very sharp and produces a finer result but usually it's my OXO Good Grips swivel headed potato peeler, which halves the work because the strands it produces tend to be longer and thicker. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Never thought of that DD,after rugby will rummage in the gadget drawer.Mig
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I have struggled with the manual cheese graters. I conceded defeat and have been buying grated cheese. :oops:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Starburst wrote:
    I have struggled with the manual cheese graters. I conceded defeat and have been buying grated cheese. :oops:

Why not Sophie! Life's too busy for grating!

Mind you I have a rather lovely Ardvarkey red grater, (matches my kitchen), which I use for cheeses added at the table like parmesan. He looks good and works too :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'm following this thread with interest.

Like Tezz I tend to buy ready grated if I'm using a lot for a meal but I don't like to because I think they put preservatives in.

So, for 'bits and piece', I persevere with my old hand-held grater but make sure I cut a small section of any big wodges of cheddar.

Better still, I call Mr SW in if he's around.

I do also use the potato peeler sometimes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Just to warn I have tried 2 and they were useless..I think the cheese when out of the fridge soon warms up so clogs the garter...back to using the old stand up grater..or at least hubby is...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Options
    I do also use the potato peeler sometimes.

The peeler is my nemesis. I just cannot use it. If needs must, I'll buy ready peeled and chopped carrots. I eat a lot of potato as it's one thing that my stomach quite likes, so I get a kind and obliging family member to cut them and leave them in a bowl of water.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My autistic Son loves grating cheese so it is currently his job.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Starburst wrote:
    I get a kind and obliging family member to cut them and leave them in a bowl of water.

So...the SW way with potatoes. Cut them in half with a large knife. Lay one half on its side and cut the top off. Then turn it onto its flat cut middle and, using two hands to steady the knife (one at each end) slice off bits of peel until you've gone all the way round.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Check on the back of the packet Sticky, I don't know about preservatives but there may be something added to stop the cheese all clumping together.
    When I worked on a supermarket deli counter we used to put the odds and ends too small to sell or a bit dry from the display through the grater to sell for cooking(occasionally some numpty would try and put brie or stilton type cheese through....) and some of our regular customers cottoned on to this and if they were buying a big block of cheddar - if it was on offer or they did a lot of cooking - would ask us to grate it for them, so they could portion it up to go in the freezer. Eventually it had to be a 'special order' item as staffing levels were cut, and I would think they have stopped it altogether now as the packet stuff is available.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    Check on the back of the packet Sticky, I don't know about preservatives but there may be something added to stop the cheese all clumping together.

That sounds more likely, daffy. It's ages since I bought a pack so couldn't check but I'm sure there is more than just cheese in there.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Options
    Starburst wrote:
    I get a kind and obliging family member to cut them and leave them in a bowl of water.

So...the SW way with potatoes. Cut them in half with a large knife. Lay one half on its side and cut the top off. Then turn it onto its flat cut middle and, using two hands to steady the knife (one at each end) slice off bits of peel until you've gone all the way round.

Thank you, SW. I shall give it a whirl. I am now reminded of the other way which I don't think I've ever tried;

Using a knife, cut a thin line around the circumference of a raw potato. Boil until tender, then transfer to an ice water bath. When cool, peel off skin. (15 minutes to cook, 5 seconds to peel each cooked potato)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hm yes. I did try that once. 15 mins to cook and about 20 to peel all the potatoes :roll: Not for my hands.
    Steven Wright