Fat toe

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 10. Oct 2015, 04:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just one, quite suddenly a week and a bit ago, it ballooned and feels funny. Isn't hot, the swelling isn't local to the joint, it isn't hugely red. Worse in the morning and then again in the evening but better during the day. I wondered at first if it was infected but it doesn't seem to be and hasn't progressed as an infection might. This morning I admitted defeat in the approach of 'just ignore it and it will get bored and give up' and I called the helpline which, proudly, I hadn't called all year. I just wondered if anybody had experienced similar - it's the way it isn't local to the joint but is almost as if the whole digit is sausaged that seems odd and which has stopped me assuming it was arthritis and nothing else but I think I've ruled out other possibilities by now - arthritis, the disease which keeps you guessing. You'd think after 15 years I had seen all it had to offer :zombie-cat:
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have a tendency to assume that any swelling anywhere near a joint is arthritis. I think you probably believe this is so with your toe because you've called the Helpline rather than the GP. One way or another I hope something can be done. Fingers crossed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi, LV, I'm sure you've done the right thing by calling the helpline. I haven't had anything like this on a toe, but I have had an individual finger swell up, without getting hot, occasionally. I put it down to the vagaries of RA. It normally lasts a couple of days - nowhere near as long as your poorly toe.

Hope you can sort it.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Yes you have done the right thing LV..I hope it goes has quick has it came.. but keep an eye on it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello LV,
    It even has a fancy name: dactylitis. My understanding is it's caused by enthesitis, swelling of tendon sheaths. I've had it my thumbs and because enthesitis is a feature of PsA, dactylitis is more common in that rheumatic illness. I don't see why you RAer's couldn't have it too, but obviously I'm no doc.

Hope it settles down soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You did the sensible thing in a) waiting to see what happened and b) going straight to the rheumatology helpline instead of faffing around with your GP. I hope they reply soon because you are not one who cries wolf.

It's a bother isn't it? Things still happen to our bodies despite us being 'immersed' in an auto-immune arthritis. Most irksome. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Have you heard anything yet? I presume there'll be no change in the toe :( I send hugs ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm still waiting for the call but that's fine. I haven't waited in the past when my calls for help were a little more urgent in nature. The toe remains fat and a little lump is slowly becoming more evident near to the joint on the outside so maybe waiting is a very good thing. I shall have more to report!

Boomer, I fall into the unclassified camp still, they did make an effort to call it AS with another RA like thing going on but without the RA factor. Unsurprisingly they've now reverted back to the short hand of undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis, still a mouthful but slightly easier. I guess that means I could qualify for a swollen tendon sheath more legitimately? Thank you, that was interesting and you may well have hit the issue. I do know the toe really doesn't like me wearing wellies which is a shame because it has started to teem down here and I am on dog walking duties in an hour and a half. I'll just be careful and walk like this:
    :zombie2:
  • Boomer13
    Options
    :lol: That conjures up very funny pictures in my mind! I forgot you were in the unclassified group.

Hope you get answers and the toe settles down.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I'm going to create waterproof shoes or boots for people with foot issues. The only shoes that I can pound the pavement with are trainers. They are not waterproof. Wellies are not ergonomic nor supportive and sometimes not that attractive either! Will you wear them, LV? :)

Wishing your fat toe fast healing. I hope you hear from rheum soon. x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Please do Starburst. I'll be your first customer.
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Yes I will Sophie! It's one of the many things we need. I think shoes are one of the hardest things though, what is comfy for one won't be for another. I generally prefer not to wear any but it's getting a bit chilly to do my tricky of taking my shoes off at the field gate and walking the dogs bare foot.

The toe is still fat. The plan, after some negotiation with my amazing nurse is to give it a fortnight to get bored. Should it be persistent then the next step (no pun intended) is steroids from a GP (should they be feeling helpful) or being squeezed in to see a registrar. In the mean time I have to take lots of photographs of it in its various states of swollen and red so they can see how it changes. Sort of not the best news that things be happening despite all those cocktails of meds but we all know arthritis doesn't like to feel beaten for too long!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Give it time? It's had time. This little piggy has, apparently, no intention of going anywhere.

Still, there is an agreed plan and that is always helpful. And comforting because it gives a - hoped for – time limit to the pain and shoe difficulties and the piggy's insistence on having your undivided attention.

Thanks for the update, LV. I hope the next one will deal with the Case of the Disappearing Pig.
    Steven Wright