National Anthems

theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 9. Oct 2015, 09:42 in Community Chit-chat archive
Watching the Rugby World Cup, which anthems stir the soul? Top of my list would be the Welsh - Land of my Fathers. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Also worth a mention, I think, the French, for the Marseillaise. If Germany had a team there I would include theirs in my top few, and also The Soldier`s Song, which the Republic of Ireland seem to have ditched in favour of a much inferior one.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oooh, interesting thread!

I think my all-time favourite anthem is N'kosi Sikelel i'Africa.

I agree about Germany but you can't go far wrong with Haydn composing for you.

The Marseillaise always brings back memories of Bastille Day which was 'French Day' in our school. I can't remember what else happened but I do remember, in VI Form, having to belt it out on the piano for assembly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I have a cd with all the rugby world cup anthems on, ITS AMAZING I put it on my computer and they appeared on my phone and iPad,I love technology don't understand it much though,When I was a a snot nosed kid television were just getting to be the norm. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I did love to hear the welsh national anthem..like you say ..makes the hair on the neck stand up..something about the welsh voices...
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have always loved the USSR National anthem. It disappeared for several years before Mr Putin brought it back for Russia.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein