Ceramic Hip Replacement?

Options
silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 11. Oct 2015, 10:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am just wondering if anyone on the forum has been fitted with a Ceramic on Ceramic Hip Replacement ? I have been offered this type of Hip Replacement by the Consultant at my last hospital appointment. Apparently, he said it was more long lasting than the other types, and less likely to require replacing. Unfortunately though, there is not a lot of data on them as they are relatively new. So any info or experience with this type of hip replacement will be gratefully received. :D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I suspect replies from users might be very thin on the ground here as, from what I've read, these are a very new venture so the chances of anyone who's had one being on here are not very high. From what I've read, the hope is that the ceramic won't degrade as the more usual types of THR do. But, like ceramic anything else, they can crack. So, if you have one, stay upright :wink:

I honestly don't know what I'd do in your situation. In 1981 I was offered two Leeds Knees. They were a new venture then and made in the local uni's bio-engineering department. I just took what was on offer, trusting my docs. I still have one. The other was replaced 5-6 years ago.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks for your input Stickywicket. I do feel worried as I don't want to be a guinea pig. The last time I was in the hospital they were saying it would be best to leave it as long as I could stick the pain etc. I don't know anyone who has had this type of replacement, also he did stipulate there wasn't a lot of data as they were so new. :?
  • OliverT
    OliverT Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I find the idea of a ceramic hip and cup quite attractive personally. Far more inert than steel, so there should be far less leaching of metals into the surrounding tissues over time, and so I would suspect less detrimental for future revisions. A cleaner, smoother bearing surface, and harder too.

Harder is part of the problem with the first bunch, supposedly rectified now. Hard means brittle and there have been some unpleasant failures of early versions - though these problems now solved by making the ceramic sections thinner with a bigger steel core.

What is unknown though at present is how good the future revisions will actually be. No-ones had ceramic inside them for 20 yeas yet, so they dont really know what will be waiting for them down the road.

I'd be tempted. Longer lasting sounds good to me, as does the chance of better revision success.
  • OliverT
    Options
    As for leaving it till you cant stand the pain - I asked for a THR this year and was more or less laughed out of the clinic, even though I was only there by invitation.

Reason being that currently, on a day to day basis, my pain level is probably a 3 out of 10 and my disability level is probably less than that, so I may not see very much in the way of improvement as the disability level may still be 3 out of 10 afterwards. The people that see a HUGE improvement in their lives are those that have far higher pain and disability levels prior to surgery.
    If you're pain or disability levels are around a 7 out of 10 then it might be worth having it done now.
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replies. I went my GP yesterday. I discussed the Ceramic replacement, his feelings were that being as they are relatively new, he would err on the side of caution and stick to the tried and tested ones. The decision is mine of course, but as mentioned the data is not there to see drawbacks etc. The GP said of course there has to be those to pioneer new things as otherwise medicine would never progress. It was just that he said he had known of so many successful hip ops of the more standard type, but couldn't really comment on these. Although as you said Stickywicket, he said he had heard of the problems re cracking.

OliverT, thanks for your reply. My pain and flexibility some days are so bad some days I take so many painkillers I am almost comatose. It is good to think that there is a solution and I can walk properly again and without pain. I am not sure how long the waiting time is though to have the op done. I guess it is different in different areas.
  • OliverT
    Options
    I think it depends less on where you live, and more on you, and how much you want it. The surgery is elective, that means you need to ask for it - and the fact that you have asked for it holds some sway.

The consultant needs to be convinced that there is some physical need, and that your condition is causing significant impact on your life. After that they should agree to surgery - if you ask for it.

In my instance I cant walk more than n-hundred yards. Sometimes that's 50 yards, sometimes it's a mile and a half, but I am generally not able to go for a walk in the countryside with my partner, or walk in the woods to see the autumn leaves, and that affects her quality of life as well as mine, so there is a relationship that is affected. That constitutes a significant affect on my life, and so he had to agree to perform the surgery - when I ask for it.....(some decision).

So it is down to you. If your life is significantly affected and you can give reasons why it is, then your surgeon is more or less bound to agree to surgery, though they may do their best to persuade you to wait. That is then down to you and you alone. :)

An aside....what sucks is that it is not us that are experts - how are we supposed to know? The fact of it is that 'artheritis' is just a catch all term, so they don't know either. What they know about is surgery, but they don't have a clue about your life or mine, and for that it's good that it's elective - or so I tell myself. :D
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I have both of my hips replaced. One of them, my left is ceramic on ceramic and was replaced in 2009. It was a cementless one. I was told by my surgeon that it could last me 20+ years. I was told it may squeak, mine doesn`t.
    My other hip is ceramic ball and poly/plastic cup/liner. It was done by a different surgeon and I trusted him to choose the right one for that hip. This one is cemented.
    My recovery/ progress has not been smooth or straightforward, but this is nothing to do with the prosthesis used, it is down to my dodgy anatomy!
    Good luck with your hip journey!
    NB
  • OliverT
    Options
    Sam - apologies - doofus that I am I think I totally misunderstood your last 2 sentences.

:D
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi. I had ceramic on ceramic hip replacement in June this year. It's great. I was well behaved and kept to every precaution for 3 months and worked hard at the excercises. I was off walking aids within 5 weeks and mastered 34 steps into my flat easily. So I hope my comment helps?
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Silkysam,

If you put 'ceramic' into the top 'Search' button (there are 2 search buttons) it will come up with older discussions. Go back a couple of pages and there you will see what others have said.

(Apologies if someone has already mentioned what I've written below.)

I did read, on one of the older discussions a while ago, that there was a problem with them squeaking so perhaps you could ask your consultant or GP about that. It could be an old problem which they've now ironed out ....or oiled :wink:

It is a really good idea that you're doing your research before you make your decision. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely comments and information - (a trouble halved ........) I really appreciate it. Yes Lindalegs, I don't want to squak, I will be looking for the Wizard of Oz to oil me :). Yes, you have all given me plenty to go on. So wonderful to go to my inbox and see more responses. I hope I can be as helpful to others. xxx