Here I go again....

Options
Pear15
Pear15 Member Posts: 17
edited 30. Oct 2015, 18:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Been back the hospital for x rays got the results today. My doctor has confirmed there has been significant damage to the ankle joint and not much cartilage left.so I'm off to orthopeds again!

I'm not sure of my options as it's the ankle and all I keep getting told is that it's a complex joint. I know it's complex it's my body! Also there's the problem of the plate and screws.

Oh well I'm getting back into the system once again and soon hopefully I will find out if anything can be done.

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pear15

Read your post regarding your ankle problem with interest.

Following xrays it was found that very little cartilage was left in one of my ankle joints,it was bone rubbing against bone.I was in such pain that I could barely walk.

In June 2011 I had ankle replacement surgery.Have reported the operation and my subsequent progress in detail (my thread was 'Ron's new ankle).To date all is ok.

You probably will be given the choice of fusion or replacement,the choice will be based on your preference and suitability for either of these.

Please keep us posted.

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi, you have my sympathies as I also have an ankle that's shot to bits. I had an arthroscopy this July to try and delay a fusion but was told two weeks ago that I won't have a long term result for this op until the New Year and I could still need more surgery to the ankle.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ankles are awkward beasts, I empathise because mine are (expletives deleted) painful. My masseuse explained that ankles are tricky because there is so little flesh in that area thus they are quick to hurt and slow to heal.

I hope that the ortho can offer something useful in way of help . . . . . . Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I have nothing to add except my commiserations and hopes. Keep us updated, please.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Pear15
    Pear15 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi,

I know its been a while but I've seen the doctor today... I've seen the X-ray and can see the damage caused. The treatment will be a general\injection to relive some of the pain. Due to my age not a lot else can be suggested, in case your wondering I'm 28.

I'm OK with what was said I'm not sure I could face something major again. The one question which I needed clarifying was, is the arthritis a direct cause of my injuries? The response was yes due the dislocation.

What happens now...? Now I'm going to wait three months for the injection, start arthritis friendly exercises and continue with the acceptance process.

I've always ignored what happened, couldn't talk about the accident for 9 years and certainly couldn't see what I achieved.

At the 12 year point I've accepted that life 2 began at 16, ive learnt to walk twice and I'm far stronger and brave than I give myself credit. This is just the next challenge who knows what will happen in the future....