How should you respond to this?

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 6. Oct 2015, 10:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Our older son has been teaching for 17 years, over half of them as a Head of Department, ( MFL ) in a comprehensive school. It's not a bad school - in fact it's a fairly good one, though has a fairly mixed catchment area. Last Thursday was Open Night, for prospective New pupils & their parents.

Now, said son is not easily 'fazed' and normally unflappable, used to dealing with all sorts of kids & parents, but one parent clearly came out with - in son's experience - a real conversation stopper. In his words :

" This little barrel of a lady bowled in & said the only bit of French she knew was 'Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?'"

His reply - " Good to know romance is still alive & kicking!"

Don't you worry just a little bit about the kids?

For anyone who doesn't speak French, the translation is " Would you like to sleep with me tonight?"

I hope mods are not offended by the post - I'm simply telling what happened.

What are things coming to?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think your son got it spot on. She may or may not have known what it meant, was possibly showing off, she might have been nervous (heaven knows we all do silly things when nervous) so well done to him in dealing with it as he did.

My favourite comment came from the headmistress of a private school where I taught when she tactfully told a very pushy couple that it wasn't the school's fault that their daughter wasn't very bright - it ran along the lines of 'We can't put in what isn't there because there's nothing there to receive it.' DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Oh I like that DD. Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I was at secondary school when the song from which this came was released and we all very quickly learnt the phrase and it's meaning and it remains one of the few bits of French I know, but I must add I have never used it.

I would assume she said it as a joke, I would be more worried if a pupil said it to your son.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Very tricky situation... think she was showing off..and came unstuck :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Ah, I hadn't realised it was from a song - I must have led a sheltered life!!

DD's post reminds of when I first started teaching. A number of our kids came from a notorious estate, and chief among them was a family whose matriarch we shall call Winnie N.She had 11 children, to various feckless fathers, and whose talents were largely in the field of petty crime & poaching.When it was time for the eleventh child to begin secondary education, she marched him in, waylaid the Deputy Head, and said triumphantly "This'n ''ll be clever Mr. P - his father was a student."
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    :lol:

I didn't know it was in a song either but I think it is the French phrase that many people who don't speak French know and trot out. Its Spanish counterpart is “Dos cervezas, por favor.” (Two beers, please.) (Oh the number of times I've heard that when I say I taught Spanish!) I think it was just a clumsy, inept attempt at making conversation. Dealt with brilliantly by your son. Let's hope she's not been coaching her offspring.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    A boy once said that to me. I was 17, he was 21. He was trying to impress me. I was climbing a fence on a rural lane in deepest darkest Wales. I slipped when he said it. My leg went through two slats in the fence and my knee dislocated. I responded with 'I've just dislocated my knee, I think I need an ambulance'. He started to get all huffy at a perceived overly inventive brush off. He then looked at my jeans and the shape of the leg and ran miles to get help (it was in the days before mobiles and reception). I bet he was far too tired afterwards to repeat his offer and anyway, I offered to marry the paramedic who extracated me from the fence, gave me entonox and relocated the knee...I think given that, your son had a much better response.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter