RA and altitude

Options
pot80
pot80 Member Posts: 109
edited 6. Oct 2015, 09:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Although altitude has no effect on RA some of those who suffer feel much better higher up. I experienced this in June whilst on an extended week-end break with 3 consecutive days of walking in the Swiss alps. Each morning I awoke feeling on top of the world with no pain in fingers or toes and feeling fit for anything. The walks of no more than 6 miles were wonderful and achieved without any aches or pains. We were not very high at about 4,000ft. The first one had a severe rating I was told afterwards. I commented at the time how really well I felt as originally I was very hesitant about going at all and I have not done 3 consecutive days walking for years. Wanting to know more on my return I read that altitude can in some cases mask the symptoms but these return upon descent and not all feel the benefits of altitude.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's great news, pot80! I'm so pleased you had such a wonderful break which also involved a break from RA :D Well done on completing all the walks.

Switzerland on prescription, eh? I like it.

I don't think I've ever been at any great altitude except in a plane.

I wonder how the Swiss get on with RA. Interesting.

I recall a climber saying very recently on TV that, the first thing that happens at high altitude is that one urinates a lot. This is the body's way of thickening the blood to cope with lack of oxygen. Can't see how that would make a difference to RA though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It`s an interesting point. I think my days of walking in mountains have passed now, but I`m really glad you had such a good break and were able to get some walking done.