Tai Chi

Options
Madbetty
Madbetty Member Posts: 3
edited 9. Oct 2015, 04:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone!,
I have had rh arthritis for10 years now. I am not currently taking any drugs apart from painkillers as methotrexate did not suit me! I am trying just to cope without many drugs as I don't want any more side effects.
I am having some accupunture which has helped moderately ( least I think it has) .I also meditate and now have tried to do Tai Chi.
I have very painful wrists, elbow and feet, mainly ankles and the small joints on the top of my feet.I also have fibromyalgia,which I was told is a common extra!
The trouble is that I am finding doing the tai chi has made my joints more painful even though I am not doing the full class,rest in between sessions and generally take it easy! I am disappointed because I thought this was something that would help! Has anyone else attended classes with any positive benefit? I know it's early days ,so do I just ignore the extra pain, which is quite nasty and lasts a day or two, or do I give up! Sad...as this would be a social outlet as well .What should I do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Madbetty from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello Madbetty and welcome from me, too.

Both Tai Chi and acupuncture are regarded as being good for arthritis. Exercise is essential for keeping muscles strong and Tai Chi is good exercise.

However, you are taking a big risk by not taking DMARDS. They are, as the name omplies, the things that hold back the process of the disease. Methotrexate is only one. I take it with hydroxychloroquine for my RA and they do a good job. I'm lucky that I don't get side effects. Many do and have had to increase their folic acid, go on to take it by injection or changed it for another DMARD. There are several options and combinations.

So, my suggestion would be to keep up the Tai Chi but make sure you get back on some DMARD or other.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can understand the reluctance to take more medication than one should but in the case of auto-immune arthritis I think the risks of not taking it far outweigh the benefits they can offer. My auto-immune (psoriatic) began in 1997 but was not recognised as such by my then GP. It wasn't until 2002 that I began my first DMARD, sulphasalazine, but that was far too little and far too late. You name it I've probably taken it but not experienced any physical benefit and never will because I now have OA in my ankles, knees and hips plus fibro. It's a bundle of laughs. :wink:

Tai Chi, acupuncture, yoga, exercise etc. are all recognised as being of benefit but the benefit they offer is limited for this reason: none of these address the underlying cause of an auto-immune arthritis which is an over-active immune system. I was born with mine already busy (eczema) and have had to take medical drugs since the age of 9 for asthma, so for me it's more of the same and I have no fear of the drugs. I have rarely suffered from severe side-effects but there are measures that can be taken to alleviate any that may crop up while the body adjusts to the medication.

it's finding the balance of helping ourselves without further stressing the joints which is so tricky. Basically whatever we do will result in further hurt somewhere, either during or after, which is always a daunting prospect. I know the old saw 'No pain no gain' but for us it's more a case of 'More pain, very small gain once we've recovered.' My main exercise is walking, I began with one affected joint and now have around forty - every move hurts but so what? I have to keep moving to help the rest of me so I do. I am reliant on aids for longer distances but I use them and get out and about. I wish you well with whatever you decide to do re. the meds and exercise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I applaud you for the exercise you are doing to try and keep your joints in good working order, but if the uncontrolled RA is damaging your joints you will begin to hurt more. I hated trying DMARD after DMARD in an effort to find one that worked, but during a slow and painful process my RA was rampant. ( rheumy`s words )

MTX actually landed me in hospital, but there are other drugs out there, and it would, I think, be prudent to discuss DMARD options. Are you still in the care of a rheumatologist? You would get more benefit from the Tai Chi if your RA was better controlled.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi; I used to do tai chi two years ago. I loved it but had to stop because it was taking me three days to recover from a session. There is a lot of stretching with doing the moves and while it's gentle, provides a good work out I think. You could do the moves seated? That might help and, there are moves that you do several times in a row and stop, rather than an entire set. I did these for awhile because you can stop whenever you need to and do only as many as you want. I can't remember the name of them but I'll try to find it for you.

I hope you can find a way to do a modified tai chi session as the social benefits are really good. I really miss the friends I had there.
  • Madbetty
    Madbetty Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone who has taken the time to reply to my question.
    I appreciate that I have turned my back on conventional drugs somewhat, it's just I tried quite a few anti inflammatories, wasn't given anything to protect my stomach and ended up with endless indigestion etc! A couple of drugs prescribed were withdrawn or I was advised I could only use them very short term safely. The methotrexate was tried, injection and orally, both made me feel worse and I did persevere for months.
    I am still under a rheumatologist , but haven't seen them for a while. They probably see me as a pain(!!!) as I keep wanting to think about treatment I am offered and not dive in.
    I have decided to carry on with the tai chi ,only doing what I can each day. Judging how much to do day to day.
    I will be doing more research into what I am being offered too.By the way I live in Ireland and perhaps this affects the management of my condition, we have very few rheumatologists here. Thank you again!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I think it's a good plan to keep up with the Tai Chi but making allowances for your body's needs. Is your instructor aware of your arthritis? We are advised to tell them as a good instructor will be able to advise on to try and what not to try.

Please re-think the DMARDS. I understand your reluctance (many share it) but they are the only things which actually hold back the disease. When I was first diagnosed (1961) there weren't any. I used anti-inflammatories for years – there were far more then and no stomach protectors. As a result virtually every joint is affected apart from the replaced ones. And I still need a daily stomach protector to deal with the damage caused by the NSAIDS. DMARDS have been a godsend for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright