Options
luke0586
luke0586 Member Posts: 5
edited 16. Oct 2015, 14:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all,

I thought of join this forum due to some problems I'm having,
Ild thought Ild put them out and see if anyone is experiencing anything similar.

I'm 29/m and have quite a long line of it in the family.
For the past 3-4 years I've been feeling a really bad discomfort/aching in my knees especially going from hot to cold vice versa.
Also other things what bring the discomfort on is sitting for long periods, driving(long periods), standing for long periods.

I've always had cracking in my knees for a few years now, this has especially became worse within the last year, sometimes it feel like the joint it stuck so when I crack it it hurts and feels stuck and in the very odd occasion it felt like my leg gave way especially after sitting standing for long periods.

I know you will all say go see a doctor, I attempted this and explain the family history and the fact my farther had crumbling knees but they just advised paracetamol and said that I am to young to get arthritis regardless of the family history.

Could anyone please give me advice and wether my symptoms could be arthritis connected?

Tia
Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I cannot be long but I have a couple of things to say.

1. No-one is too young for arthritis - it's time to educate your GP :wink: Download some info from AC and take it for them to read.

2. What kind of arthritis has run in your family? An auto-immune such as rheumatoid or osteo?

2. We cannot tell you if you have a form of arthritis because we are not doctors. Mine began in my knees and carries on to this day. If it is osteo then yes, paracetamol and gentle exercise is what will be recommended.

Time to take my car for its MOT - I'll be back later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    luke0586 wrote:
    I know you will all say go see a doctor, I attempted this and explain the family history and the fact my farther had crumbling knees but they just advised paracetamol and said that I am to young to get arthritis regardless of the family history.

I get a bit cross when docs say this, Luke. They really should know better. I was diagnosed at 15 with RA.

To be fair to your doc it's more usually the autoimmune types of arthritis that come on early and they don't usually start in the knees. (Though they can.) Cracking of joints isn't particularly significant. Many people get it. Something to do with air pockets, I think. What sort of arthritis have family members had?

As you know we can't diagnose but I suggest you go back to your GP (or preferably a different one in the practice) print out the following page from Arthritis Research UK http://tinyurl.com/ovfmwwd and ask for knee x-rays or, at least, a referral to a physiotherapist.

Please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, everyone here is very supportive and if you have any questions just post them and if anyone can help they will post back.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Luke, and welcome to the forum.

As others have said, arthritis can strike at any age, and your GP should really be aware of that. Perhaps a visit to a different GP might help?
  • luke0586
    luke0586 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    luke0586 wrote:

I get a bit cross when docs say this, Luke. They really should know better. I was diagnosed at 15 with RA.

To be fair to your doc it's more usually the autoimmune types of arthritis that come on early and they don't usually start in the knees. (Though they can.) Cracking of joints isn't particularly significant. Many people get it. Something to do with air pockets, I think. What sort of arthritis have family members had?

As you know we can't diagnose but I suggest you go back to your GP (or preferably a different one in the practice) print out the following page from Arthritis Research UK http://tinyurl.com/ovfmwwd and ask for knee x-rays or, at least, a referral to a physiotherapist.

Please let's know how you get on.

I have a X-ray booked only good thing from the appointment but I'm going to go with my mother to see her GP and see what they say and hopefully get refereed back to mine - go round some more circles and eventually get somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi Luke im 31 and i have OA in my knees,hips,and back and i started with similar symptoms (knees first ) to you 5 years ago now, although i have only been diagnosed this May and that was due to an operation to have a look around and do a tendon release .. im not saying you do have any form of arthritis but i would certainly get a second opinion . i was told i was to young to have it and have been going round in circles for a while .. i sometimes feel the GPs dont listen to us younger ones all that much when it comes to arthritis ....

i hope you get this issue resolved and get a diagnosis soon

Emma x
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Options
    My arthritis started in childhood, in my knees...

I haven't got anything helpful to add to all of the other good advice that people have already given.

It's ashame that you have to be so assertive, if not pushy, at times to be taken seriously, but I hope whatever is going on that they get to the root of it soon for you!

:-)