Why are simple things never simple?

Options
slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 9. Oct 2015, 08:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday was a dreadful day for me, I think one of the worst so far.
All I had to do was go and pick up my sick line from Dr. When I saw the rheumy on Monday he was not at all surprised that I was struggling with bad fatigue as its a symptom of my vasculitis. He said that a GP aware of my condition should have no issues re giving me the time off I felt I needed. On the way back from hospital I went into the surgery and asked for a sick line for a few weeks. The receptionist put in a request for a sick line for a month to the GP minding the shop (my GP on holiday at the moment). All I had to do was collect it. When I did I discovered it is only for 2 weeks (6/10 to 20/10)
Now normally Common sense and Logic are good buddies of mine and we hang out together all the time, however when they so the sick line they didn't just hold up their hands in shock they basically collapsed in utter despair and ran and hid under the bedclothes and point blank refused to come out again. My overall mood/emotions took that as the cue to dive down the pan. (This is not the normal me).
I was devastated, still am to an extent, its like a kick in the teeth. At the time when I realise I really need help, I'm sure given only 2 weeks. I feel that's another stres factor in itself and I have to hurry up and get well in 2 weeks.
I've an appointment with my own GP on 22/10 but I now feel I have to justify needing time off and beg for it despite what my rheumy has said. I didn't realise my emotional state was on such a knife edge.
Poor OH just home from work spent ages coaxing commonsense and Logic out from their hiding place and trying to settle me down. Today of course I'm totally knackered. I really want to have sufficient time off work to get myself physically and emotionally as fit as possible so that I don't end up having to take time off again.
Sorry for the speil
On the plus side OH has a day off today and is just back from golfing with a friend which he's enjoyed. He needed something nice after dealing with me. He's been an absolute gem.

slomo

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm so sorry you feel so awful about your sicknote - I'm sure your own GP, who probably knows you better, would have given you the note for the four weeks.

Please don't feel you have to justify being absent from work - you need the time, as your rheumy suggested. Could it be that this particular GP perhaps has a policy of only writing a note for two weeks? I believe some GPs do this as a way of ensuring a patient comes back for a follow-up visit - I had a friend whose GP was like that.

You don't have to hurry up and get well in those two weeks - you need to rest and then keep your appointment for the 22nd and ask for another note.

Try not to get stressed as the two-week line is no reflection on you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I agree with Tezz. I think your stress is probably an indication of your frazzled state right now due to arthritis / meds / med reduction.

You shouldn't doubt yourself. The rheumatologist thought you needed a month off and your own GP probably will. The fact that a locum who doesn't know you is being cautious is...well...just that. It's no reflection on you or your 'disease-worthiness'.

Relax, slomo. Take the two weeks and then go back for another note assuming you'll still need it. Given your reducing the pred I'l bet you will.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I agree with both the previous posts. They are right. Please try to relax and not worry, you will feel better and you don't need to stress yourself. I'm sure your GP will straighten things out for you. You can borrow my OH's favorite saying for me: "take it ease" It's what his dad used to say to him all the time. He's a fiery red-headed lad.

I understand really severe fatigue. Please give in and rest both mentally and physically, you'll feel better sooner than if you try to fight it.
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Thanks for your responses all of you. I know you're right really but like I said Commonsense and Logic were having something of a breakdown at that moment.
    I've actually started to think that just maybe my reaction was a good thing. I've been so focused on the physical aspect of my illness that I truly hadn't realised how my emotional state was being affected.
    Well now I do know and I'll have to give that side of me due care and attention too and try to keep my stress levels (which are clearly much higher than I thought) calm and under control and laid back.
    Feeling a bit better now - I was going to say more normal but that's too big a leap - I'll settle for feeling a bit better and try working up from there.
    Thanks guys
    slomo
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Don't underestimate the pred factor too, slomo. They can play havoc with emotions. You had the high of 'Wow! This is great.' Highs are usually followed by lows and often there's a bit of rollercoaster element. It's all part of the wonderful world of arthritis. Unfortunately.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright