Leflunomide

Jackie47
Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
edited 12. Oct 2015, 07:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I'm new to this forum and I'm 2 weeks into Lefuonmide after many years on Sulphsazine and previously injecting Methotrexate but became in tolerate to that. If any of you out there taking Lefluonmide have experienced the side affect of an upset tum and nausea please say if it goes away or not. Good news is I had a complete hip replacement beginning of June and it's great now. Worth every day of the 3 months precautions. I did my excercises every day doing both legs although the pamphlet only indicates the operated leg. Wrong! So I want to encourage anyone considering this to go for it. I was off all walking aids within 5 weeks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jackie

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes
    Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Ho Jackie. Welcome to the forum and I'm so pleased about your THR. I have two and both have been brilliant. I think being conscientious about the exercises probably helped a lot so you deserve success with it.

Leflunomide? I was only on it briefly. I now take meth and hydroxy. I had no tummy troubles with it but I do have to take a daily stomach protector owing to years of NSAIDS messing up my stomach.

I think, in your situation, I'd ring my rheumatology helpline for advice. Possibly you could just see your GP as, although (s)he can't change the DMARD they could prescribe something to help with the stomach problem. Either way I hope it's resolved quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello Jackie and welcome. I'm very pleased your THR was so successful for you.

I can remember having headaches while on Leflunomide years ago, but I had to come off it as it played havoc with my liver. It would probably be a good idea to get in touch with your rheumy nurse, if you have one.
  • Jackie47
    Thanks for your views. I am going to ring the hospital Rhuemy helpline as I can't bear this tablet any longer. Literally a pain!
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Hi there,

I was on leflunomide for about 8 months, after coming off methotrexate.

I found it made me feel nauseous in the mornings after taking it, and I had headaches, but they improved slightly after being on it for a while.

I agree with others that if you're struggling with any side effects to mention it to rheumatology.
    Everyone reacts differently to meds, and they may be able to suggest something to ease the side effects, or suggest an alternative drug.

Hope the call to them is productive.
  • Jackie47
    Thanks. I have left a message on the hospital Rhuemy helpline. They then speak to a rheumatologist and ring back. I've taken myself off it in the meantime. Still a bit quesy but chills, light headed and stomach upset much better. I have been on Sulphasazine for years. Tried Methatrexate twice and now this. Next step is biological but I'm limited there because of pass medical issues. Good news the steroid jab is helping in the meantime. Gotta be positive!'