OA foot frustration!

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 16. Oct 2015, 03:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I apologise for going on about my foot, but hope you don't mind me having a moan

I've got midfoot OA and had a steroid injection about six weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's hasn't really helped. Up to now, I have had some pain and discomfort in this foot and occasional pain such that I couldn't walk properly. This more severe pain has been intermittent, so I've coped reasonably well.

When I got up this morning my foot was quite painful and affected my walking , but, instead of easing once I'd been on my feet for a little while, as it has done in the past, it's continued to be as painful as earlier. I had to go shopping later and had to use my stick in order to walk. I'm sitting with my foot up at the moment, but nothing has changed.

I will be seeing the consultant in 10 days and am now wondering if this change in the severity of the pain is indicative that surgery is going to be the next option. I've got trips to London, Lincoln and Edinburgh planned for both before Christmas and in the New Year, so am feeling quite cross. I've also got another eye appointment next week when I should find out if I need surgery for that, also. I was going to suggest to the orthopaedic consultant that, if he thought I needed surgery for my foot, maybe I could have it in the Spring. But...

Thanks for reading this and I hope you don't mind me just voicing my frustration!

Meg

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Meg..no need to apologize..
    Just wounder..sorry if you have already said, have you seen a podiatrist..and if so did they recommend insoles to support your foot..also very rarely you can get infection at the site of the steroid injection..so you go and see your GP or ring up the hospital that did the injection..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me, Barbara. Yes, I've already got insoles in my shoes, but they haven't helped a deal. There is nothing to see on my foot - except a bony lump - and I'm pretty sure that there's no infection there. I do think the OA has just reached another level.

My son and I are going to the British Museum in a couple of weeks to see the Celtic Art Exhibition and I'm now wondering whether it might be better to borrow a wheelchair at the museum. These exhibitions normally take us about two hours to go round, which would be very difficult, the way things are today. This would be a whole new experience for me, but, perhaps, sensible!

Meg
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Borrowing a wheelchair is a good idea if walking is too painful - you'd enjoy the exhibition more if you weren't in pain. You might need to phone ahead and put the arrangements in place.

It sounds interesting - I hope you enjoy it.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Meg
    glad to see there us no infection there, I would certainly hire a wheelchair, then you can enjoy the day at the museum.. I have my own for certain occasions..much better than missing out..I hope you can get some relief very soon..sometimes these bony growths wear down on there own ..fingers crossed..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Arranging to have a wheelchair at the museum sounds like an excellent plan. It will save worry for both you and your son about painful walking, and avoid the risk of having to miss out on bits or cut your visit short.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Definitely go for the wheelchair option. If you've never used one before you'll feel a bit of a prawn but at least a comfy prawn, able to enjoy what you came for. But, yes, do ring ahead to check availability.

Re ops – ensure both surgeons are aware of the other upcoming op just in case there may be medical reasons for doing one before the other.

As for the other trips – many towns and cities have a 'Shopmobility' scooter loan scheme which you might want to check out. Just google it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    I've followed all your good advice - thank you - and booked a wheelchair. I don't mind being a comfy prawn at all, Sticky! Thank you also for your tip about mentioning the potential ops to the two consultants.

I've never thought about a scooter, but a friend and I are visiting Lincoln at the end of November - retail therapy and lunch - so I'll be looking into a Shopmobility scooter now. Thank you for mentioning it.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sticks, crutches, rollators, wheelchairs and scooters have one thing in common: they enable us to do far more than we can without them. Wheelchairs also come with an added extra in that they render us invisible - people will talk to the pusher rather than the occupant. I remember jillyB1 writing about this, her husband was asked 'Does she like fish?' and he reasonably replied 'Why don't you ask her?'

I am pleased to read that you have booked a chair, it will make the whole exhibition far more enjoyable. We recently went to the Turner watercolours at the Fitzwilliam and I, stupidly, didn't pack Hermione, thinking that the rollator would be enough. It very nearly was but all the standing, moving it a few feet then sitting again wore me out too fast. Most irritating. :zombie-cat: DD

PS Hermione is my wheeled chariot, useful for giving Mr DD a cardiovascular workout.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben