CRP / ESR

Lou001
Lou001 Member Posts: 51
edited 8. Nov 2015, 09:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I had some blood tests last week and my results for CRP & ESR were as follows;

CRP 23
ESR 28

I know what the normal levels of CRP & ESR are, but just wondering how "active" my PA is considered to be at these rates?

The nurse said its "considerably active", but didn't elborate much, other than that some of her patients have CRP of 100 and above.

All I can say is that my pain has been up and down recently, I think it's a mix of exercise, injections and tablets.
One day I feel OK the next I struggle to move.
My CRP has stayed around 23-33 over the last year or so, but I do feel so bad some days.

I expected my levels to be much higher!

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi Lou

ESR is a very personal result & realy cant compare from one person to another but shows what is going on in yourself over a period of time

as for CRP , 23 is high & slows your arthritis is not under control , it can go alot higher , I have RA & last year was emitted into hospital with CRP over 200 , there are other things like infection & stress that can affect the results
  • Lou001
    Lou001 Member Posts: 51
    Thank you :)

I think this is a flare as I've had it under control for the last few months.
    I also had a kenalog injection a few days ago, hopefully things will settle down again.
  • kyliemyky
    kyliemyky Member Posts: 2
    Hi ladies, I've just Had bloods done and the doctor called me back in to tell me the numbers were high. One was 62 and the other above 80.
    Can anyone t ell me what all this means? The doc didn't elaborate except for saying something is really wrong with me and have ordered extra texts like ultrasound etc.

Any help advice would be much appreciated 1
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi kyliemyky

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes

Mod JK
  • kyliemyky
    kyliemyky Member Posts: 2
    moderator wrote:
    Hi kyliemyky

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes

Mod JK
    Well thank you for the very warm welcome! I am looking forward to all the forums. Again thanks for the welcome [emoji2]
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello kyliemyky, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. As you have had bloods done I presume you have one of the many forms of auto-immune arthritis, are you under the care of a rheumatologist?

When I first began this malarkey I remember being told that inflammation markers were an indication of something being amiss, ideally they should be between 0 and 10 when healthy (10 being achieved thanks to light bruising) and it was my high figures that confirmed I had some form of auto-immune arthritis. They were routinely up in the 160s and 170s but my current medication, humira (combined with injected meth) has reduced them to being between 0 and 5. These show that my disease is under control but it can be hard to remember that! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello, and nice to 'meet' you. I think these numbers can be baffling when first diagnosed. My CRP & ESR were way up in the hundreds in the days & weeks after diagnosis, which meant the RA was rampant. Consequently, I felt like 'rubbish' & struggled with everything. It took another 18 months to get things under some sort of control, but while my ESR is always quite high, my CRP eventually dropped ad low as 9, thanks to humira.

This week my CRP is up to 39, so it will be goodbye humira, and back on the drugs merry-go-round for me.

Like DD says, it is possible for your bloods to say one thing and your body another.