Trapeziectomy soon and live alone - advice needed.

Options

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Drewa, I had a double carpal tunnel op but luckily my husband was able to work from home to help me out. That led to some interesting times in our marriage. :wink:

I wish you the best of luck with this operation and the recovery. Any form of surgery is daunting enough but to be left one-handed for some time is particularly stressful. I know that Villier made it through, others too; I am sure you will be in their number. It will take time but you are obviously as well-prepared as you can be. Come back to us as soon as you can, we'll be here to cheer you on (and maybe up). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Drewa
    Drewa Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for your good wishes and nice thoughts. I wonder where I could find a husband in the next 24hrs??!! Yes, I have got a couple of amazing role models on here who did it alone but they were quite a bit younger than me. Still, no alternative but to go ahead and I will happily accept any help I can get. So far the dog is much more sorted than I am with 3 volunteer walkers and a couple of "aunties" who will take him overnight if it becomes necessary!! Mind you he is a lot cuter than me lol :lol:
  • Cushytara
    Cushytara Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow. Let us know how you get on!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I am aware that it's very early days for you but I am thinking of you and hoping all is as well as it can be. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Drewa sorry I haven't been around I have been away at my sisters. I hope the op went well and that you are managing ok. I hope you can get on soon and let us know how you are getting on. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Drewa
    Options
    Part 1

Hi all - well I have been home for 3 days and things are reasonably good, but I had some surprises re the surgery!

Firstly I had been told I would have a GA but had a nerve block which was fine except they didn't tell me it would make my hand feel as if I was having an electric shock! Anyway the op started and as I was awake I asked if I could see. The surgeon said I could watch when he stitched it up but I wanted to see before that, so he lifted my hand up so I could see inside my thumb!

I was told the nerve block would wear off in 4-6 hrs but in fact it lasted 12 hrs. Because I can't have codeine I was given two IV drips of paracetamol but after that I haven't needed any painkillers - no pain at all - hurrah!

At the end of the op just a thick dressing and crepe bandage were put on - he doesn't believe in plaster casts. He also doesn't pack the trapezium space with a rolled up tendon, just leaves nature to do its stuff. On discharge I was surprised to be told I could take the bandage (but not the dressing) off in 48hrs if I wanted to!!! :o I couldn't see any reason why I would want to, so am leaving it until I go to have my stitches out next week when I assume it will be redressed.

Part 2 later
  • Cushytara
    Options
    Great to hear you're doing so well! I saw the inside too and was able to sing along to Queen and Fleetwood Mac! Amazing that you can take your bandage off. Will you have a splint? Mine wasn't packed either. Can't wait to hear your progress over the next couple of weeks. I think it's v interesting to hear the different methods the surgeons employ.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ye gods girl, I doff my cap to you. You LOOKED? :shock: I'm a tough old broad but not that tough, my stomach is somersaulting as I type (not nice on my breakfast eggs :wink: ). I am so pleased that it all went smoothly and I agree about not removing the bandage, it's there for a very important reason. Take things easy for the next week or so, get plenty of rest and keep well-hydrated and I look forward to hearing from you when you can. I wish you very well. DD
  • villier
    Options
    Hi Drewa, glad to hear you are doing well. Like yourself I like to know what's going on, because I was having a GA I watched the whole thing on YouTube which I found fascinating. I am glad you have no more painand you haven't got a bulky cast on hopefully you are able to use your limbo. I look forward to your next instalment. Take care Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Drewa
    Options
    Part 2

I'm doing it in parts because it's very slow with one hand and I get tired, plus I'm afraid it might get timed out and all my hard work will be lost!

Re looking at it - because there was no feeling it didn't feel like my hand. on a similar funny note I was in a bed next to someone who had her op just after mine. The nerve block didn't seem to affect the top of the arm so if we lifted that the hand part would just flop over and hit us in the face. :lol:

Today has not been good. I was assessed by the OTs before discharge and after establishing that I could wash myself (very perfunctory as no plug on washbasin) and dress myself plus make a cup of tea they said they couldn't offer anything, not even in the way of aids, let alone help at home. Obviously washing your hands and face, getting dressed and making tea are all you need to live!!

I know some of you chose not to have any help but how did you manage? I can't even make a sandwich or open a can of soup, let alone wash up and deal with the washing. There are loads of things I can't do or I can only rdo with the aid of my teeth and being exhausted afterwards. I takes me an hour and a half to have a shower (and yes Marie I can get the limbo on fortunately).

Someone said to phone Age UK as they have volunteer support workers, but turns out they don't - they cost £14.60 per hour! So I am hoping my cleaning lady can give me an extra hour now and then as she is only £10 an hour. Age UK didn't ask for my financial information so it's not means tested.

My hand/thumb has also been a bit painful though not too bad - probably been using it a bit too much. On the plus side I think the swelling and bruising have improved. This evening I am going to elevate it with a cold pack on it when I'm watching TV.

Really just feeling down and very frustrated generally, with a big dollop of self pity, so I'm going to leave it for now.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah, the first post-op dip - I don't know how many operations you have had in life so far but I am the veteran of a few and recall this all too well. Initially when in hospital all is OK because you have people around you, noise, activity and helping hands. Then back to your own four walls and peace and quiet and maybe too much quiet . . . .

Living one-handed won't be easy, it may be time for disposable cutlery and paper plates. Packet soups and noodles are a useful standby, as is fruit that does not require peeling. As for washing could you do so at the kitchen sink? My Ma washed at her sink for years because the bowl was bigger than the basin. You will need to draw upon huge reserves of patience - do not put yourself under un-necessary stress, it doesn't matter if things don't get done or take hours to complete - the main concern has to be taking care of that op site and not stressing that. Hard to do, I remember that from my double carpal. DD
  • villier
    Options
    Hi Drewa sorry to hear you are having a bit of a blip, you will manage and you will get there. Have you tried putting your bread on your anti slip mat I dont know If it will work or not, I think I managed to hold it with the fingers of my operated hand and buttered it with my other. As DD suggested maybe also some packet soup will be a bit easier to open.

Have they mentioned putting a therma splint on and when? once you get that on it will make things a bit easier. Sorry to hear you are having a bit of pain lets hope it settles down soon. Take it easy you will get there (((()))) x
    day is full of Smiles
  • Drewa
    Options
    Hello both,

Well, life goes on, doesn''t it? At least the plans I made for the dog walks seem to working ok and I get on really well with one of the volunteer walkers who stayed on a bit yesterday and did a few little jobs. found out we both like making soups so going to make one together next week, with her chopping the veg and me stirring - I'm good at that :lol: What I also appreciate is that she is quite young and it's nice not to always talk to old people!

Some pain today but bearable. I have started using my fingers on the operated hand for very lightweight things - don't know if that's causing any of the pain but I have noticed the swelling going down. Dreamdaisy, I have had 4 major ops with long recovery times in the past 8 yrs. Of course many memories fade with time, but one thing that doesn't are the psychological hurts and reinforcements of being let down by my children. i have four - an unmarried boy who lives about 40 mins away and who I might see once a year - he doesn't even know I've had an op. another son who lives a long way away and phoned me the day I got home from hospital but probably won't again. My eldest daughter lives in Kent (I am in the midlands) - and does call more but it seems like it's a duty, and finally we have my youngest daughter who pleaded for me to move here when i retired so she "could look after me". What a joke! She said she would pop in a couple of times a day when I came out of hospital, but I haven't seen her since Sunday.

I know I wasn't a wonderful Mum but I certainly was a good one and I don't know why they are like they are to me, but as they all are I can only assume it is something about me they can't stand. Not one of them invites me for Christmas even when I told my youngest son (the one I feel closest to) that last year I resorted to going to a community centre for Xmas lunch for people who have nobody, and I only did that so I could pretend to my neighbours I had somewhere to go. Won't be doing that this year though as people I knew in a different sphere of life were there as "helpers" - very embarrassing!

They have just hurt and rejected me in so many ways over the years and I don't want or need more. To be honest I wish I hadn't got them as then I could just be lonely, not feeling the way I do. Then I (and others) wouldn't even expect them to step up to the plate at times of crisis (as I have done for them many times). I am on the point of saying enough is enough and all of you get out of my life for good. It wouldn't make much difference as they aren't really in it now except minimally.

Why am I telling you all this? Probably because you are strangers I will never meet and also because normally I manage to keep it all in, except like now when I feel vulnerable. It doesn't help that my next door neighbour is quite ill and her family are constant visitors - sorry if that sounds horribly jealous, but in truth I suppose I am.

Enough - back to the matter in hand (pun). I am already using disposable stuff where possible but my problem with food is worse because I have to eat a high protein diet, which normally includes a cooked breakfast of some sort. I've been managing to cook bacon one handed, drain it and just eat it cold as a snack or in a sarnie, and I found out that Tescos do frozen cheese omelettes and a frozen "classic breakfast". I expected them both to be gross but actually they were surprisingly edible. I'm awaiting the arrival of a special gadget which holds bread for buttering and a tray designed to be used with one hand, both of which might hopefully make life easier.

I feel I need to shower at least every other day (rather than having a wash) because I can't wipe my bottom with my left hand so have invented a "wiper". I think it does a pretty good job but I think a shower might make sure it's all clean in that area.

Marie, I don't know what a therma splint is. I think your surgeon had you in plaster for 6 weeks, but my hand is only heavily dressed and bandaged. I am having my stitches out next Tuesday morning (12th day) and my first physio that afternoon, so I'll find out then what the next step is.

And now I'm going to research tinnitus which I appear to have developed during a nap this afternoon!
  • Drewa
    Options
    Hi folks - sorry if my last post was a bit "heavy" for this forum, but I still value your support re my op so I hope I haven't frightened you away?

The tinnitus disappeared after a few hours thank goodness - apparently it can be temporary like that - hope it doesn't come back.

Not much change in the thumb department today. Some pain but quite bearable. Wondering what it will look like when the stitches are removed on Tuesday at my G.P.s. I'm assuming they will re-dress it but going on to physio afterwards and wondering if they will give me a splint. Did you both go to your first physio so soon? I assume you didn't Marie as you were in plaster for 6 weeks weren't you?
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    It seems so long ago and I can't remember when I had my first physio but I dont think I was allowed to do much in the way of physio for a while and even then it was only touching fingers with the thumb. Massaging oil in was a great boost and my scar is barely visible. It seems like a long road to recovery but you will get there in the end. Don't overuse it if at all possible. Xx
  • Cushytara
    Options
    Glad to hear you're steadily improving. I absolutely agree with Michelle, don't try to do too much. It's amazing how much treatment varies; I had dissolving stitches and I'm still under my consultant and OT at the hospital. (Big up to St Richard's, they are a-ma-zing). I'm nearly 14 weeks post-op now and things are still difficult sometimes but there is constant, if slow, improvement.
    Can't believe you'll be let loose without any protection! Let us know how you're doing :-)
  • villier
    Options
    Hi Drewa, no I wasn't in plaster for six weeks I only had it on for four days as my thumb had gone numb. They took the plaster off and submerged my hand in warm water with I think Iodine(bliss) my thumb was a bit swollen and not a hint of a bruise. I also had dissolving stitches she had done a running stich on the wound and is the neatest scar I have ever seen. It was then I was fitted with my therma splint which I couldn't take off. After I think about four weeks they opened it up and put Velcro strips on it so I could wash my full hand and moisturise the scar and do the first of the gentle exercises, I think if my memory serves me correctly I went to physio about every couple of weeks and slowly built up the exercises.

I agree with the other two try not and overdo things although listen to your physio and make sure you faithfully do whatever exercises they give you. xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Drewa
    Options
    Well the big day has come and gone! Had my stitches taken out this morning - no swelling but a fair bit of bruising to the back of the hand and thumb. A small bit in the middle of the wound not completely closed so a couple of steri-strips and light dressing over the wound and sent off into the big wide world feeling half naked! :lol:

Thence to Asda where fun was had by all as I attempted to drive one of their mobility scooter things with one hand. :lol: How I didn't knock down people or stacked up Xmas goodies I'll never know. And what amazed me is how much people are in their own little bubble, gaily leaving their trolleys in the middle of the aisle whilst they browsed. Many didn't even notice me until I shunted them (the trolleys, not the people) out of the way. Using the Asda disabled loo was another adventure but I'll spare you that!

Had a quick bite then off to physio for first appointment. Yes, it's true, even the PT said my surgeon has his own unorthodox "protocol". She has given me a splint, but a removable one in delightful NHS beige - must say it's very comfortable/comforting. However you all telling me not to overdo things wasn't part of her regime, oh no, no molly-coddling here!!

Apparently the reason OT didn't offer me any help on discharge is because I am supposed to use the fingers on that hand straight away (pity nobody told me that!). I have been using them for very light things the past few days, so I've got to keep that up and 3 times a day I have to take the splint off and do a series of exercises - touching tips of fingers with thumb and sliding it down the pinkie as far as I can, then wrist bends and finally an exercise which strengthens the muscle at the base of the thumb.

It all feels a bit scary but I'll do as instructed and go back to see her in a week's time.
  • Cushytara
    Options
    Wow, a removable splint? It must feel great! I had much the same exercises when I got out of plaster, it will be really interesting to chart your recovery and compare results.

Keep us updated! :-)
  • Drewa
    Options
    Tara, I've been rereading this thread and your original intro thread and discovered I had got confused - it was you who was in plaster for 6 weeks - I find that as incredible as me not being in plaster at all - one extreme to the other! Plus it was you who was excited to be touching your 3rd finger at 10 weeks, whereas the Physio made me touch them all, and slide down the pinkie, at 10 days!! How can it be so different? But I can see that all that time in plaster would make things stiffen up a lot.

I think I got carried away yesterday and even attempted a bit of washing up, just holding the object gently with right and doing the work with the left, but in a lot of discomfort that evening. Not so bad today and I've finally started to use both hands on the keyboard which is great - my real goal though is to use my normal mouse rather than the one built into the laptop which I loath and which seems to have a life of its own sometimes :roll:

The only thing that is bothering me slightly is the bruising on my thumb from under my nail to the first joint. It is very dark and doesn't seem to be improving and even the physio seemed surprised by it. Still, the positive thing is I have no swelling which some people have suffered with for a long time - compression gloves sound gross! Nor do I have any numbness or pins and needles thank goodness.

Anyway, that's it for today, my two week anniversary!
  • villier
    Options
    Glad to see you are coping and coping very well by the sound of it, did they not give you a sling to keep your hand elevated? I had one which I had to keep on for the first couple of weeks then I only used it when going out but still kept hand up over chest when sitting at rest. You are doing great Drewa keep up the good work and keep us up to date how you are doing. I usually look in most days but had my treatment the other day and have been catching up with much needed sleep. Take care........... Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Drewa
    Options
    Hi folks, back again - day 19 update. Second trip to Physio today and given new exercises which I hope I can remember and told to come back in 2 weeks when I might progress to playing with an elastic band! I can hardly contain my excitement! Also given a smaller splint and after a bit of discussion a matching one for the left thumb which is starting to protest at the extra workload.

As for what I'm managing at home. Well as of today I'm not using the limbo anymore but it will come in handy next year when I have the other thumb done. I haven't been wearing my splint all the time and have definitely done a few more "gentle" things with the hand. Pain level varies, but bearable. Really the physio said just to use it as much as I can without too much pain!

Tonight I have finally lost patience with the laptop mouse and have plugged in the normal one. As my mousepad has a really thick wrist support my hand is in a comfortable position and very little is required by the thumb.

Curiously nobody has told me to elevate it since the op. I was given a sling, but it didn't hold my hand up, just really at waist level, and the physio threw it out for me last week. However, intuitively I do hold it in the position you mentioned Marie when - at rest I find I put it across my chest pointing towards my left shoulder. The wound itself is not 100% healed - there's a bit in the middle which whilst not open, is not as closed looking as the rest, but I've only got a plaster over it. Still too soon to massage it I think.

So, touch wood, I seem to be getting there and making better progress than I expected. Just can't wait to drive again, but I'm not rushing that!!!! The funny thing is that with not really going out Christmas is largely passing me by!!

Edited for colour and change from all bold

Mod JK
  • Cushytara
    Options
    Drewa, your recovery is incredible. Can't believe the different methods used by surgeons but it sounds like you're progressing really well. Hope the wound heals soon. The therapists will soon let you know when you can start the massage :-(. How is the bread buttering going?
  • Drewa
    Options
    Day 22 and progress continuing. So far not taken any paracetamol, but might in a minute as it does ache towards the end of the day. I'm not using the proper mouse all the time - just know I can if I need to.

But the big news is that the wound is now closed! I took the plaster off yesterday so it could get some air and noticed a rather strange looking small brown patch near where it had stayed open but anyway creamed it all gently with Sudocrem and lo and behold later noticed it had gone, so had been just a scab after all and the skin underneath is pink and perfect!

I'm not seeing the physio for almost another 2 weeks so I will probably start massaging it in a day or two when it's not quite so tender to touch. Really it's a very small insignificant scar already (well compared to my knee one) that I'm almost ashamed to let people see it - it really doesn't reflect the severity of the surgery that has been done!

I see the mod decided to take away my nice colour and bold text in my last post - not sure why, perhaps they'll let me know. Why have it available if you can't use it? :?:
  • Drewa
    Options
    Hi - sorry I forgot to answer your question about bread buttering!! Yes, I sussed that out in the first week once I discovered I could use the tips of the fingers on my right hand very lightly. I found that the first tip is to use a paper plate - the bread doesn't slide so easily on that, especially as it rises a little round the edge. You hold the edge of the bread with the lightest of touches and then proceed to butter with the left hand very slowly and carefully - make sure the butter is nice and soft.

I had ordered a special "bread buttering board" but didn't need it by the time it arrived, so sent it back.