Had an appointment with the hair doctor this morning

slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 17. Oct 2015, 05:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not quite as frivolous a topic as it might first seem. Those of you who were kind enough to respond to my post last week re why simple things are never simple, will know I had a bit of a meltdown as I tried to cope with the physical and emotional challenges of my ever changing medication.
When I was diagnosed in July I was put on 10 mg mtx but it went up to 15 in September and at the beginning of this month it was put up to 20. My steroids meanwhile have dropped from 60 daily in mid September to 30. My poor hair is hanging in there but has gone from fine but plentiful to coarser yet delicate and brittle feeling. Although it is 5 weeks since I was last at the hairdresser, my hair looked like I'd been there only a couple of weeks ago. TLC desperately needed. The good news is that there is definitely some regrowth going on albeit slowly. It's now been cut, had a pampering conditioning treatment and Ive got some intensive conditioner to use on it at home.
I know that at the end of the day it's just hair (as OH tried to tell me. He looked a little scared as he watched for my reaction!) but getting it back to fitness and looking good is a great boost to my morale and will hopefully help me through the next 10 days. I have a blood test, will have to contact work and tell them I'm unlikely to be back at the end of my sick line, will have a GP appointment and a few days after that will be doing the 4 hour round trip to the rheumy again. So plenty of stress factors there. It's been really nice today to have a 'normal' appointment for something.

slomo

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Slomo, my sympathies I know the feeling I have the same problem(with meds) and I also have androgenetic alopecia. My hairdresser told me about a product called fudge one shot it is a hydrating hair drink I have only started using it this week and feel my hair looks better already it cost me 10 pounds but should last for a while, you still use your conditioner and then spray the fudge on before you dry your hair,. Things can only get better...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Slomo, I'm pleased you've had some pampering, and I know exactly what you mean about having a 'normal' appointment - we have so many medical ones.

I know the texture of my hair has changed, as my hairdresser remarked on it some time ago, though thankfully it's still quite thick.

Since starting humira over eight years ago, however, I only need to shave underarms and legs once in a blue moon, as there's rarely anything there!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    My hair falls out in chunks! When I've had a shower the floor is literally full of clumps of hair. When I go to the hairdressers I have to warn the poor girl who is washing my hair that day not to worry about the amount of hair that is falling out as they have a look of horror on their faces If I don't tell them and they ask 'are you on chemo because your hair is coming out in chunks!!'