A random weird question about using new joint

Options
newhipandy
newhipandy Member Posts: 60
edited 19. Oct 2015, 13:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ok, well if I can't ask it here ..... Some of you good folk will know i had a new hip five weeks ago and my recovery is going well. From being protected weight bearing I have now progressed to weight bearing (using a crutch out of doors) and trying to walk as normally as possible at home.

But here's the thing..... I have a real urge to march on the spot, almost as though I need to press down on the new joint - not too hard, obviously, but it feels like I need to 'bed it in' if that makes sense. I have added in a bit of gentle on the spot marching (whilst holding a chair back for support) to my exercises, must look a real twit but no-one's watching :lol: .... but I wonder if this is normal? The physio told me that where the shaft of the joint is put into the femur (hope that's not too graphic) the bone needs to be stimulated to settle around the implant and i do wonder if my subconscious is leading me in this regard? Or am I simply a bit bonkers? :monster:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That doesn't ring a bell but, with all I have going on in other joints, that wouldn't surprise me even if it were usual. I can't see that a little marching on the spot would do much harm (after all, stairs are allowed) but don't take any risks without checking with the physio. You're doing so well and have come so far. No point in taking chances.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    It might be called trying to run before you can walk, but I know what you mean the urge to strengthen the joint..I didnt get any physio till I had my 6 weeks checkup..which I thought was odd, so on the net I went for exercises ..but was very cautious..we have hileena on the forum she is on hols at the min,. but she was doing the lifting of her leg to the side and heard a loud snap..so please be careful...I really do think you are doing well...
    Love
    Barbara
  • newhipandy
    newhipandy Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Thank you - the feeling wore off quite quickly but I have left a bit of gentle marching in my routine! I get some odd snaps and clicks here and there but as long as they are not painful I try not to worry. My knees have sounded like castanets for years when I go up and downstairs! I remember one doctor likening the surface of the back of my kneecaps at arthroscopy to a 'ridged crisp' - nice visualisation!