I don't like Fridays

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 18. Oct 2015, 03:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last Friday ended up with a very difficult and frustrating meeting with some colleagues at work and I then got home from work to find I couldn't park outside or near my house and had to park at the end of my road and then slowly make my way up the road till I was home.

This Friday the one working lift at work, the other is waiting for spare parts broke down meaning I was stuck downstairs for the afternoon so had to work in one of the offices and struggle to type.

Once again I got home to find nowhere to park as last week.

Dreading what next Friday will bring.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time :-(

I used to get similarly frustrated with parking anywhere vaguely near to work (right in town centre), but luckily it improved.

Do you rent or own your home? I'm sure sometimes councils can paint an allocated disabled residents space outside of your home if you are disabled, I've seen quite a few in terraced streets round here.

I can imagine there's not much worse than having to trek to and from your car for ages when you're already in pain.

I hope next week's better for you.
  • Slosh
    Options
    I am going to ask for a dropped kerb as I am getting my front paved over to give me off street parking but I'm not hopeful as I don't recieve the higher rate for mobility which is one of their criteria. If they refuse I will pay for this, but it could take up to 5 months to get approval and get the work done. Hopefully once the front is finished people will get the hint. It is annoying as these are neighbours' cars and they all see me on Fred and Ginger.

It just really got to me yesterday after the problems at school with the lifts which was one of those things that really brought the impact of my disability home to me. Hopefully at least one lift will be working by next Wednesday.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    If you got your G.P to write to the council and explain you need the drop curb or a disabled parking slot outside due to your health problems it may get the work done quicker. Also if they could explain the problems your having with car parking near to your home it may get the work done quicker. If you have a good relationship with your consultant it maybe worth asking them to send a letter as well the more pressure the more chance of it getting it done quickly and taking some of the pressure off you. Hope you can get something sorted as it's not good for your health.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope the weekend is restful and some of your frustrations are oozing away. Sounds like some of your neighbours are a little selfish, or maybe just thoughtless. Getting your GP to support your application is a good idea, I wonder if your consultant might be prepared to send a letter too, it may be worth speaking to his secretary.

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you for those suggestions, I hadn't thought about asking my GP for a letter but that's a great idea and I know he would do it for me.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hope today has been better for you with it being Saturday. Also that you get your parking sorted out. I'm fortunate in that we have our own driveway so I don't have to fight to park my car and I've got a blue badge for the car.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Options
    I have a blue badge from my local authority which is really useful. Yesterday I was out doing my "pop up" at a local craft market, selling my origami products. Nice day but no luck when I got back. Out for a while this morning so fingers crossed for when I get back.
    Julian of Norwich